Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ice Skating



Lea and Aprillee
(our camera battery was pretty much dead so most of the pictures were really blurry)

Last night Mark and I were trying to think of something fun to do. We were talking about a couple of people we could call and have over and then our good friends Lea and Nathaniel called and invited us to go ice skating. Last week Mark and I got a Greeley Happenings newsletter in the mail that mentioned that there was "Sweetheart Ice Skating" on Valentines day and I said to Mark that we should invite Lea and Nathaniel to come with us that night. So when they called last night and invited us to go we thought it was really funny.

Align Center

On the rink (notice the little girl behind us?)

Mark and I had never been ice skating together before and I had not gone since my BYU Idaho days so 5 years or so (there were not many ice skating opportunities in Egypt, go figure?) and Mark didn't even know the last time he ice skated so we were not the most graceful couple out there. But we had a lot of fun. There were some really good skaters with cool outfits and everything. I always get really nervous when someone skates by me really fast, especially if they are going backwards too! Which leads to my next thought: I was doing really well and then on my last skate around the rink I biffed it so hard!! This guy skated by me at like lightning speed (backwards too) and totally scared me. I have always had this fear of ice skating and falling. I am not afraid of falling, it totally happens but of falling and then someone skating over my fingers with their razor sharp ice skates. (I know... paranoid) The rink had not been smoothed over in a long time so good speed plus ruts in the ice are not a great combination. It hurt so much and I have quite the bruise on my knee. I fell right in front of Lea and Nathaniel and they said that they could see my skate get logged into a rut and it just stopped me short! It reminded us a lot of the toe pick scenes in Cutting Edge, "Toe Pick!" But I am not discouraged and we will go again for sure. (Mark needs the practice! hehehe)



Nathaniel and Lea

Here is a shout out to Lea and Nathaniel! We have so much fun with them. They are our favorite people to hang out with in Greeley. (Bethany you just have never been here but this summer, watch out!!) We can always call each other up and they are ready to go play. We went to the corn maze with them and haunted houses. We looked at Christmas lights and have gone out to eat or had each other over lots. Unfortuanely they are moving to Nebraska in March. We will miss them a lot. But until then we will have lots of fun.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

YAY for ice skating!! The kids and I could be doing that this time next year! Hey, at least Mark will go with you. Spencer will not. Period. His cousin once had a bad head injury, something else, etc. and he won't set foot on the ice. BTW, where in NE are your friends going? I lived there for 7 years; Omaha area. If they need any advice, I can help!

Unknown said...

I haven't been ice skating since high school! I miss it!

Sorry about the fall!