Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Need a laugh/cry?

Today I got locked out of our house.  We have a little sandbox in our backyard and as it was windy and stormy (rain and hail) I went outside to put the lid on it. I shut our sliding glass door real quick because Jared always wants to go outside and since it was not ideal playing-outside-weather I did not want him to follow me out. I put on the lid and walked back to the door only to see the lock in the locked position. Jared stood at the door looking at me as I began to panic. I tried to communicate to Jared to open the door, he can reach the lock (obviously) but he just walked away and went to go put his coat up.  (Seriously once I got in the house his coat was on the closet floor simply because he couldn't reach the hangers but he knew once he is inside he should put up his coat) The biggest problem was not that the door was locked but that the bar was in place.  So even if I managed to convince Jared to move the lock the bar would be blocking the door.
*See below picture to see what the bar is:


This bar is actually a nice security feature and it works quite well as evidenced by today.  So I decided I would go check the front door even though I am like 98% sure I locked it, because thanks to my sister *Susanna I always lock the door when I get inside. I run to the front door and yes its locked.  So now I start to really panic.  I know that my best option is to go to our neighbors house and see if she would be willing to drive to Mark's school and get his house key.  I figured it would be better for her to go to the school while I stayed in the backyard by Jared so he didn't freak out and I could watch him to make sure he was safe. So I went to her house and she was happy to help.  I run back to our yard (as it begins to hail) and there is Jared standing by the door with these huge tears rolling down his cheek so then I feel awful.  Luckily once he sees me he gets over it.
I decide as the hail is pelting me, (it wasn't that big but still annoying) that I might as well keep trying to get Jared to unlock the door so I begin tapping at the lock and then over by the bar.  Jared being the awesome kid that he is quickly moves the lock up, good progress but he is not sure what I want him to do as I repeatedly tap under the bar and point to it.  Eventually he pushes up on it (can I mention how thrilled I am that he is in the 91st percentile for his height!!) and moves it out of the way.  I gleefully rush inside give him lots of kisses and hugs (say a prayer of thanks!) and call my neighbor to let her know that I got inside.  Thankfully she hadn't gotten very far and his school is very nearby. What an awful yet humorous event.  I am so lucky that Jared is such a good listener and so good at following directions.  If I ever doubted he was a good listener before I don't now.  I am pretty sure I am going to take an extra copy of our house key to our neighbors house.  Maybe we should have spent the extra money on the keypad lock when we got them changed.  Next time we need locks changed I am pushing for the keypad.
As you notice in the picture, the stupid lid flew off anyway!!! It's the blue thing.

* In case you missed this story awhile back. When Mark and I got married and were living in Rexburg we kept our door unlocked a lot and one day I mentioned this to Susanna and she thought I was crazy citing how people could be watching us and learn our habits/routines and know when I was home alone and come get me.  I menitoned this to her once and she doesn't even remember telling me this. I certainly do not blame her I think it is a good idea.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

This is certainly an awfully funny story. I'm glad you got inside! I know if it had been me locked on the outside my baby would have gone ballistic—they're right at that separation-anxiety age!

Kim said...

Ha! That's so funny, the same thing happened to Pam too! So don't worry, you're not the only one to get locked out!

Joni Riley said...

A nightmare! My big fear is locking Kate in the car one day.