Sunday, February 2, 2014

Love


It is no secret that I love holidays and celebrating them. Awhile back I saw this adorable sign on Pinterest and knew I wanted it! I showed it to Mark and we made it happen. It was way more complicated than I thought it would be (three different stores to get the paint and wood) but not because the project was that hard but working with a 2 year old's foot is difficult.  Lydia was a trooper as we had to redo her 2nd footprint three times. So yes, we had to repaint that part of the sign and let it dry (2 coats as each time). We still put them up too high but I am very happy with it. It was all worth it. I love how it turned out.


 I think Jared and Lydia will like comparing their hand and feet to it as time goes by as well. I have their hand and footprints in their baby book and they love holding them up to them.  So fun!

We also got more snow.  It is winter right? I love falling snow. When Mark got home from school on Friday the snow was really coming down. He really wanted to play with Jared and Lydia in the snow so we got all bundled up and headed out.  It was fun. Lydia did not enjoy it as much but once we came in she wanted to go back out so she and Jared went into the backyard.




Typically we go out to play in the snow on the warmest day before its melted (since we do lack real snow clothes) so being in the snow as it was falling was extra special. There was so much coming down! It has been really nice to have all this snow. Mark had a 2 hour delay twice last week which makes our mornings a little special. One day he made crepes which were delicious.  Mark loves crepes and offers to make them often.  We definitely eat more dessert style crepes though so we try space them out some. Last week I made some NY style cheesecake spread (Panera Bread's recipe) to put on some bagels Mark got. (He had a gift card to Panera from one of his students.) We had some leftover and put it on our crepes with fresh strawberries (Mark added Nutella too). It was amazing. When we first started making crepes we offered them to Jared and Lydia and they really did not like them. It was weird. Now they love them. Nutella + Peanut butter for breakfast?  What is not to love about that? 
On one of the 2 hour delay mornings I asked Mark to go check on Lydia in her room after her room time.  As he tired to open the door he couldn't get it open very far. Turns out she had taken all her pillows, stuffed animals and a fair amount of toys and barricaded herself in her room. She pushed everything against the door! We aren't sure what message she was sending but she had a good time Cleaning up was not as fun. Lydia, by the way is doing awesome with the railing off her bed. She hasn't gotten out of bed once. It almost seems like she is sleeping in more with the railing off which is nice. Each morning when one of us goes into get her we say Good Morning and she says "Belle!" (For her cup) She is such a sweetie. 



Mark and I had another successful date night at home. We made a fort and then watched a movie in it.  I am sadly not a very good movie watcher. I am super picky and Mark is not. I do like watching movies but am really selective so we went with You've Got Mail, one of my top 5 movies. I love it. I really do. I watch it every February for sure. It was fun to build the fort.  I know Jared and Lydia would love it so maybe we will do it for next weeks family movie night. We watched Tarzan this week and it would have gone really well with it. Oh well. Next time. 



One other thing my kids love lately is broccoli!! It is so weird. We have offered (and made them eat it) pretty much their whole lives and never met with much success. Now they request it! Even Lydia wants it. The other night we were having orange chicken for dinner. I asked Jared if he wanted some more chicken and he said "No, can I have more broccoli please?" I was shocked and really happy. I hope this trend continues. 
A trend I wish would stop are some of Jared's behaviors and my reactions to them.  It's been really hard since he turned 4! I feel like I am way more exasperated and frustrated. I try to stay calm and not let his choices control my reactions but it is super hard. I feel frustrated so much and then I feel awful for being frustrated. It's a nasty cycle.  He is just loud and more crazy then he used to be and his listening skills seem to have diminished greatly.  We are thinking of implementing a behavior jar with him where he gets marbles or pom poms for positive behaviors and can have them taken out for negative ones, then when he fills the jar up he will choose an activity to celebrate. We will see. I just want to enjoy this time so much.  I know how fast they grow up and how soon they will be in school. I just really want to not feel this way as much as I am. So it's not just him who needs to change but me. Maybe I need a behavior jar for myself! Before bed each night we have about 20 minutes of story time with Lydia and then with Jared. This is by far my favorite time of the day. When we cuddle up on the couch and read and talk together. It is also my time to apologize for being impatient and to talk about our day. I love these quiet moments with them and am grateful for them. I am sure it would help if I took more of them throughout the day and will work on that. When all is said and done I love Mark, Jared, and Lydia more than anything!

No comments: