Friday, August 15, 2014

Parks and real life

We drove up to Harrisonburg earlier this week.  We stopped by the really cool park again and I had my camera.  Harrisonburg is just under an hour away so Jared and Lydia were happy to get out and play.  I really love this park.  It is so fun.  They have great/different/huge play structures, swings, a sidewalk chalk board, hammock, music "instruments", bike/running track, covered picnic tables and many of the play areas are covered too. It has lots of open space too and a fun little water fountain.  It also has a liberty swing for children in wheelchairs. It's so well laid out.  We all had a great time.

 Entry way, look at that green-ness!! 
I love how her head is tilted in this picture. Sort of how you imagine a kid walking into a fun place just for them. 



 Spider web fun


 Just taking a little break


 Music Instruments
There is a row with other instruments in front of these. 

 Ready Steady Go!

 I love how the play areas have covered sections. 

 She was quite pleased with herself for climbing all the way up to the top. 


We could spend hours here!  After we played we went over to Costco after and picked up a few items.  Mark and I really like Costco. We were walking around and it was just nice.  It is weird though because most things are exactly the same yet they don't carry some items.  And they aren't items that strike me as only "Out West" items. Oh well. It's still nice to go. We are not homesick but it was nice to be somewhere that reminded us of out West. I can't really explain it. (again we can't wait for the one to be built here in Charlottesville)  Costco started back in Seattle and just remind of us living out West where we have been for pretty much our whole lives. I guess it's just familiar.

Yesterday we headed back over to the splash park and had fun playing around. The area sort of slopes down so at the bottom there are grates the water goes down into.  When you stand near them you are in the "deepest"section of the splash park.  I took off my flip flop and showed Lydia and Jared how it floated like a boat.  There were some leaves nearby so I told Lydia to grab one so she could have a boat.  She spent a fair amount of time floating her leaf down then grabbing it and doing it again.  Once they were done playing in the water we spent some time playing at the park.

 Jared's favorite feature this day. 
Last time we went it was only spraying a little but this time it was going pretty far. 

 This one wasn't on last time and Lydia loved using it to feel up her bucket. 
 Jared and Lydia were both happy that we remembered the buckets. 



Walking by her boat

Today we went to our neighborhood park and met up with some families from church. It was great to visit with them and start to get to know them.  There really are so many new move-ins that I do sort of feel like I have been around for a long time yet it hasn't even been a month! Our ward even has person serving as the move in coordinator. This person just had her baby today so I got an email from the Relief Society last night asking if I would be an interim coordinator while she recuperates.  It just sort of made me laugh because really, what do I know about this place? But I guess I did just do a lot of the things they will be doing. Anyway. I am happy to help.  This particular park (Pen Park) also has a very nice playground and the back side of it (still visible from the playground) is woods.  There are a couple of trails you can follow that dead end at the bottom.  Jared had an awesome time running around with lots of boys exploring.  I was pretty nervous about him going by himself but just let him. We had walked down a few times as a family so I knew what was down there. He could easily hear me if I yelled his name.  There were some older boys (10 year olds) so that helped.  I sincerely hope he stayed on the trail and didn't find any poison ivy or ticks.  I will have to check him to make sure. Lydia had fun swinging and sliding.  She does really well climbing up now and plays independently so nicely.  It was fun to watch her trying things out and visiting with the other moms was great.

After the park we quickly headed to Target to pick up a few things.  Things went fine until we got back in the car.  It was as if Jared decided he would do every possible annoying thing in that 15 minute drive. Whining, getting mad at Lydia for doing anything he did or had ever done in his life, talking back. It was horrible. I was not in a happy mindset when we got home. I got their lunches ready and ran upstairs to grab something to find my bedroom door locked. Back in Colorado we had the little key things on top of the door frames should this happen (which it did on occasion,) no such luck here. I went back downstairs to grab my phone to look up how to unlock it without the "key" and Lydia was splashing her yogurt all over the table and wall.  I was so irritated.  What on Earth was she thinking?? To top it off, they were the reason the door was even locked! I calmly took her lunch away and told her to go wash up and pick a book.  I went up stairs and managed to unlock the door with my old Debit card. I was so relieved it actually worked.  I went back downstairs to read stories and was confronted with toys all over the floor.  We hadn't even been home that long and it was clean before we left, how did it become so cluttered? I made them clean everything up (even though they should have already cleaned up) with threats that toys would start disappearing if they kept leaving them out and read to them. To add to the fire, while I was making lunch Lydia was going up the stairs dragging her blanket, stepped on her blanket and slipped down the bottom few. (They are hardwood) She was not a happy camper, it was very sad. I have told them I don't know how many times to not try to walk up the stairs with their blankets on the floor but does anyone listen. No they don't. I helped her feel better then showed her that she could toss the blanket up from the bottom to the first landing then climb up and toss it to the top.  I don't think she will but it was worth a shot. I was more than happy to have them lay down for naps.  We definitely needed a break from each other. It was just a really horrible 50 minutes! It's weird how all those things happened right after each other.  I sure hope the afternoon works out better than that last hour together did. Sometimes I think about this blog and feel like it is a misrepresentation of daily life. We have lots of fun but we have plenty of annoying times like the above.  Plenty!  I write this blog for various reasons mainly so our family can see what we are up too but I hope Jared and Lydia will read it when they are older so I would like to make it pretty real too.  We love each other but definitely need breaks from each other.

No comments: