Sunday, November 9, 2014

Another hike and bikes

We do try to go outside as often as we can. I keep hearing that the winter here is really cold.  There is not a lot of snow but the humidity mixed with the colder temperatures makes for a damp wet cold which will be very different than our windy dry winters in Colorado.  So while it is still nice out we are going out! Last Monday the school district had the day off so I met up with Tara and Laura and we went on a little hike. I am so happy I have gotten to know them. They are such nice fun girls. This time we went to Preddy Creek which we had never been to before.  It is about 20 minutes away and a nice place to hike.  There is a little creek there that has a decent flow and Laura said she likes to go there in the summer and let her kids play in the water. We will have to look into next summer.  I had plenty of sweaters for us, unlike last time we met up for a hike when we were all freezing. The weather was beautiful but it was nice to be prepared this time.  We made it to the little creek and all the kids wanted to play in it but we managed to keep mostly dry.  Lydia rudely took a stick of Jared's and threw it into the little creek which made Jared quite upset.  Laura's son Joseph said he would get it for Jared and before any of us could stop him he ran into the almost to his knees water and grabbed Jared's stick.  He is really a thoughtful boy who really looks out for other kids. He had already fallen in the creek while crossing over to the "Island" (sand barrier) so he was already pretty wet but it was so thoughtful of him to see how upset Jared was and help him out.  There were still some leaves on the trees and we enjoyed being with friends.


 Joseph, Jared and Peter being bears


We also made a quick trip to Harrisonburg.  We went to Costco (of course) and then went to play at 2 parks.  It was such a nice fall day.  We already knew we were going to miss Lydia's nap so we decided to check out both parks instead of the one we normally go to. Mark and I happened upon this other park when we came out here in April. We just called it the Fort park but really its called Purcell Park. It is mostly made of wood and look just like an old fort. It's just really different then most parks we have been to.  It was really fun to run around and see where the passages led to.  Mark and I even played some frisbee which we hadn't done in a really long time.  I wasn't super fun to play with because of my hurt ankle but we tried.*

Dreams Come True Park



FORT park.  









We are also trying to get in as much bike riding as possible and it is really paying off. Jared is doing so well. He is really gaining confidence and enjoying riding his bike.  It is so fun to see him ride by himself and see how pleased he is with himself.  I feel pretty confident in saying that he knows how to and can ride a bike on his own. Lydia loves her balance bike and goes super fast.  We headed over to Riverview park Saturday when Mark got back from his Scout campout. (It was quite cold. I felt bad but they all survived and I didn't get nearly as worried as other times which was nice) We love their paved path. It is one of the most level spots in town it feels like. Jared was nervous to ride at first because he remembered the bad crash he had a few weeks ago.  Mark would get him started then run alongside him. He did awesome!






 I wish you could see how happy he is! 


We did one loop on their bikes then played at the park then did the loop again and played again.  It was nice. It has been so interesting to think about our life here compared to Colorado. Jared and Lydia are just at these really fun ages to go and do things (because they both can actually do them and I am not as crazy about naps (yet still pretty crazy) since they are older) and there are so many things to do here. It's such a great combination! I also walked the Monticello Trail again with Tara. We both just love going there. This time we went on Friday so Jared was with us. He was a good little trooper to walk as much as he did. We stopped to play on the logs for awhile which made he and Lydia happy. We will miss the perfect fall weather when it goes away. I can't believe how nice it still is for the first week of November!

*Monday we went over to Pen Park to let Jared practice riding his bike on more level ground.  Mark wanted to try to pay some tennis so we brought our tennis stuff with us.  Mark and I were rallying and I totally stepped on a ball and fell down so hard.  I just stepped backwards and didn't see it there.  It hurt so much. It is feeling better but is still a little tender.  Its unfortunate timing as I am planning on running a 5K on Thanksgiving again and would like to do some running before then.

No comments: