School has been in session for one week now. Over all I would say it's going pretty well for Jared. He gave the first day a 7 which is better than Kindergarten last year. He has Mrs. Geer for a teacher and most people I have talked to really liked having their kids in her class. I hope he will have a great year. He is really sad about not having Tyler in his class but is doing okay. We were talking for a bit after I tucked him in tonight and he was sad that he didn't have any friends in class. I told him that he needed to talk to the kids in his class and try to get to know them and I hope he will feel brave and do it and that kids will respond well. One day last week he came out of class thrilled because he talked to a boy named Marcus and ate lunch with him. He only has 2 kids in his class from last year and they are not kids he knew well. Fingers crossed he can make some good friends. He is still pretty sensitive but is holding it together much better than last year. Yesterday he took a chocolate zucchini muffin for snack and the kids at his table told him it was gross so he then wouldn't eat it in class. We talked about it and he made a plan to bring in one more today and offer to share it so they could see that it taste good, that you couldn't even taste the zucchini but they were not interested and then the teacher said dessert could not be eaten in class so he felt bad because he didn't know it would be considered a dessert. Today was given a 4.9 which was the lowest day yet. It almost always corresponds with how he interacted with his peers, so I know if its low there was some kind of incident. I hope he can be confident and do well. He is a good kid and I hope he can get into a good groove. I know he is starting to feel the stress of being gone from home all day and missing Tyler and trying hard to be good all day and it's hard for him. We will all need a little extra patience and love in the coming weeks. We did take some fun pictures and he lost a tooth this week too. Mark pulled it out Monday before bed. He has quite the whole in his mouth now.






Lydia and I started school today, and had a fun day. She did a nice job and said she liked being with the new kids. The preschool kids all seemed to have fun and got along well together. I had too much prepared and didn't do a whole activity but it is not a big deal. It will take some time for us to all get used to each other but I feel great about my students and lessons. It was strange how having 5 students instead of 4 really made a difference. I liked it, it is just an adjustment from last year. I have 4 girls and 1 boy. When the Lenox's move I will be back down to 4 like last year which will be a bummer. It will also be an adjustment to go 3 days in a row. Its weird to me that I have school tomorrow since last year was just 2 days a week. I am so grateful I can teach preschool and have such nice families.






School seems to be going well for Mark too. He does a geography unit at the beginning of the year and the first test is to name and label the 50 states. His school has a large United States map out in the parking lot and he likes to take students out there and play a version of "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego" where he gives them 10 states and they race to see how fast they can find them. He added a fun incentive this year for kids to score 100% on the labeling test. If they could do it within the first 2 days it was offered he gave them a frosted sugar cookie. When we were at Reading Market he found a cookie cutter in the shape of the United States so we bought it. His students loved it. Hopefully he enjoys teaching these kids this semester.
No comments:
Post a Comment