Thursday, February 15, 2018

Valentines

A few weeks ago Lydia saw a sign at school about a Valentines Dance.  She asked if we could go and I suggested she ask her Dad to go with her.  So she did and they went on a little date and had a fun time.  Lydia informed Mark that she wanted him to wear a white shirt and black pants and a tie.  It was cute.  They did very little dancing, Lydia claimed she was too shy to dance in front of everyone but made some valentines and decorated cookies.  Since Lydia asked Mark I told her that she should take some money to buy him a treat so she did.  Good memories.  Jared and I went out too.  He wanted an icee so we headed to Target for an icee and came across a small LEGO set for $3.00.  We bought it and then made it together at home.  All four us had lovely evenings out.  We are again attempting to go on monthly dates with Jared and Lydia.  We were really pathetic last year and hope to do better this year.




We had a nice Valentines day here.  Jared and Lydia put out their mailboxes each night from Sunday - Tuesday and I had little surprises for them.  After Christmas I found a mermaid and shark snuggie on sale at our local grocery store so I grabbed them to save for Valentines day.  Jared and Lydia were really sweet and appreciative which was really nice.  I also decorated their doors with hearts with notes on them.  We had some yummy themed food and Mark brought Jared and Lydia to work last night to heart attack my car.  It was fun.  Lydia and Jared both kind of gave it away so while I wasn't too surprised I was very happy to see it.  They did it last year too. Weird that I worked last Valentines Day and this one.

Also Trader Joes flowers are back!  I will now go there once a week to snag some of these.  
10 Stems for $1.49!


Red Velvet waffles with cream cheese icing.  
Lydia was not impressed but everyone else enjoyed them. 

I felt really creative coming up with these breadsticks.

Cherry 7 Up Floats.  
We make some variation of these each year.  Last year I picked some Strawberry soda and it was so sweet and gross. (Food Lion brand) Even Jared and Lydia said it was too sugary.  So I played it safe with the Cherry 7 Up.  I wanted Strawberry Crush but our store only had grape and orange. 

Mark's favorite Mint Brownies.  

Mark and I decided to make this year a no present year.  We would rather save that money for any trips we want to take.  It was actually really nice to not try to come up with a good present.  We both thought so.  Jared's teacher's favorite treat is brownies so I had him take a plate to her. 


They love me and I love them. 

In non Valentine news, Lydia learned how to do a cartwheel.  She has been trying since she saw lots of kids doing them at school last August and it finally clicked.  It was kind of magical.  She was so excited.  I'm proud of her for trying so hard.  I took a slow-mo video of it and its really fun to watch. Its not loading on here but I put it on Instagram.  I'm happy for her, she wanted to know how so badly and no matter how many times I demonstrated she wasn't quite getting her legs straight and just sort of fell to the ground half way around.

Also, some sweet friends of ours volunteered to watch Jared and Lydia for us last Saturday so Mark and I could go out. We hate paying for babysitters. So much. I mean most of the time we go out after 7:00 and our kids are in bed by 7:30 so it just rubs the wrong way to pay someone to sit at our house while our kids sleep.  And lucky for us our kids are super easy so we are paying them for not doing really anything at all.  They read them a book or two and then are done. Anyway. It was really kind of them.  We talked about a few things we could do but none seemed quite right.  We didn't want to spend a lot of money (again, trying to save money for the many, many trips Mark wants to take with his flight benefits) and it was cold and rainy. Finally I had the idea to go to Panera.  The Panera here has a fireplace so we snagged those seats and enjoyed eating soup by the fire and talking about world events.  The idea was to go to BBC.com and look up headlines and talk about them. This sounds like something we should be able to do at home but there are too many projects and distractions.  Although Mark kept getting distracted looking up trip ideas.  He has it so bad!  I am not sure why but when we lay down to go sleep at night I all of a sudden have tons of things to talk about.   It is unfortunate because we really should be sleeping then.  Or for example, we are driving the 2 hours to the temple and could be having really nice conversations and I end up falling asleep.  This worked out great.  We would totally do it again.  We sure are thankful for thoughtful friends.

No comments: