Monday, July 8, 2019

Summer fun around Charlottesville

We have been working on our Summer Fun list.  Even though I don't like Summer its not difficult to make it fun here in Charlottesville.  It has been weird for me because I am at work for half the day and sadly work is really boring/slow right now.  There are no projects to work on and very few people on grounds.  I feel bad being there and getting paid when there is not much to do. I probably have 1 hour of real work during the 4 hours I am there each day.  At the same time because Mark is home with Jared and Lydia I want to work more hours so I can build up my leave. I know it's fine and people at work don't care how long I am there or how often I am not there so it is working out.  And even if it is slow its good for me to have something to structure my day around.  I am fighting some serious Summer sadness.  I feel so different and unlike myself in the Summer.  Low energy, lack of motivation, wanting to sleep and be alone more.  It's not fun.  I expect it each Summer, sort of a mild reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I have to stay really busy during the Summer or I feel awful.

So in no particular order, the fun we've had:

Waterballoon Day







Kids Cooking Lessons: So far we've done Monkey Bread and Scrambled Eggs


Library Events:  The Summer Reading Challenge this year is "Its Showtime" and one week they had 2 magicians and another week they had a two man acting group who put on a little skit with mixed up fairy tales.  It's been nice to attend library events again.

Free donuts during their opening schools out/Summer reading challenge party.




Pro Tip on how to learn to juggle: Trash bags full of air



Swim Team: Mark is attending pretty much all of the early morning practices since I am at work.  They seem to be going well.  Meets not so much.  Lydia does not particularly enjoy them.  She doesn't dislike them but doesn't think they are all that great either. Jared is having a hard time not getting disqualified.  When he did swim team previously he was in 9 and under and the stroke and turn judges were much more lenient. He did not disqualify at all his first year.  This year not so much.  But he is still a good sport and happy to go. So while they don't love meets they both say they want to do swim team again next Summer and don't complain about practice or meets.  We attended a Saturday Stroke clinic last week and they both loved it. It helped that it was on starts and flip turns which are much more fun than swimming 25's and 50's of various strokes. It would be good for them to attend more clinics so we will try but we are gone this Saturday and next Saturday is the last one. Anyway its been a good experience.

First Meet


They both earned their chocolate bar for shortening their competition times

Charlottesville Municipal Band Concert "POPS" edition:  We were happy to meet up with the Charles there.  They have such nice kids.  Lydia was especially happy to hang out with Dash.  It was a fun event.  Different than the other things we go out and do.  It was held at the Paramount Theater on the Downtown Mall and it was fun to be in that environment.  To be out later than we normally are and downtown.  I would not go every time they put on a show but enjoyed this one.  It helped that they were playing popular songs that I knew Jared and Lydia would recognize.  I tried to go to their Christmas concert last year but it got canceled because of weather.  Hopefully we can make it this December.  Lydia and Jared were decent audience members.  Lydia was a little squirmy but still respectful.  We were up in the mezzanine which gave a better view but was much warmer.  I look forward to checking out another concert.

 

Chris Greene Lake:  We have already been twice.  We only made it once last year but that was largely due to the algae bloom.  There is no sign of algae bloom yet so we are going while we can.



I am taking the special UVA Research Park Connect bus each day and its been great.  It picks up 5 minutes from our house and there is free parking and plenty of it.  I drive there each morning hop on the bus at 7:30 and get to work by 7:55.  The stop for work is a 3 minute walk away from the office which is great in the nasty Summer weather.  I am glad that it has been working out so well. I can listen to or just read church lessons or pass the time watching silly videos.  Normally in the morning I do something church related and something frivolous on the way home. It's a nice change.

Speaking of work, for Administrative Assistants week Bill, the Department Head got the three of us in the office a gift certificate to a local paint bar. We met up with the other 3 females in the department and had a fun night chatting and painting. I had never been to a paint bar and had a good time.  It was not easy to do but the instructor did a good job leading us along. The instructor did comment that this was one of the harder paintings they do.  It had all kinds of blending and took a good while.  Much longer than I thought but I would totally do it again.

Top: Rachel L. April S. Jen L
Bottom: Jennifer D. Nicole T. and Roseanne F.
*Nicole used to paint a lot so she opted to go off on her own and replicate a picture hanging on the wall.  She did a great job. We have joked that we are all going to hang up our paintings in a row on the wall of the office hallway. 

 Rachel, Jennifer, April, Jen and Roseanne

*Side story:  More often than not if I am ever called by the wrong name they name people use is Rachel.  I get it, they have really similar endings.  It happened a lot when I started working here.  Rachel had just been hired as faculty and started working in July so she was new too. She is a great person to be mistaken for.  So smart and upbeat and positive. 

I am happy we are coming up on the half way mark of July and happy with how our Summer has been overall. I know I am really fortunate to have Mark home with Jared and Lydia and am glad they can have time with him more in charge.


No comments: