Sunday, October 27, 2019

End of 2019 Soccer Season

Saturday was the last soccer game of the season!  Jared had a great season.  Lydia and Mark did not.  After the game ended she came to me and burst into tears.  Through her tears she told me that she "was useless at soccer" and all soccer was was the ball going out of bounds.  It was a very sad moment.  I really hope she does not ask to play next year.  I will buy her special snacks to avoid this.  Snacks are a big reason why she wanted to play. It would be one thing if she really tried hard and was involved but she really wasn't.  It drove Mark crazy.

She is not aggressive enough to go after the ball and complains that she is too hot and always gets injured. I am not sure how she always gets injured since she rarely touches the ball but somehow she does.  In her defense lots of kids do often swarm the ball and it does go out of bounds a lot which doesn't seem that fun to me either.  She had a lot of decent players on her team and they were undefeated but she did not really enjoy it.  Mark did not have fun coaching her.  They needed help and he was willing to help but he would have been better off coaching Jared's team.

Jared was one of the strongest players on the team (this is not intense high level soccer) and enjoyed soccer very much but still has a ways to go on his sportsmanship.  I had a hard time watching him.  He is not awful by any means but I would have loved to see him encourage his teammates and the other team and listen to what his coaches tried to teach him.  If he did not agree with a coaches call (like a corner kick instead of goal kick) he was a stinker about it so that was hard.  And his coach was really nice and encouraging. I just don't think Jared was that teachable which was hard for me. He also didn't try very hard to get to know his teammates so team unity was not a focus for him.  There were lots of really nice kids too. This was not super surprising as he is a very independent person.  So I spent most of my time visiting with friends and watching them play sporadically.  I am glad it's over but still glad they participated.  Even if I am not competitive or care about sports I like Jared and Lydia to try these things.

After the game there was a fun breakfast and each team had an individual trophy ceremony.  It really is fun to meet up with people we don't see many other times and the League itself is really family friendly which is great. One more year...



"Best Bowmasters"  
There were 5 members from 2 wards on his team. So more than half.

"Jaguars"

No comments: