Sunday, November 30, 2008

Let the Holiday Season begin!!

On Friday, the day after Thanksgiving I put up all our Christmas decorations and later that day we went up to Estes Park in the mountains to watch the Estes Park Christmas Parade with our friend Faye. Estes Park is a cute little mountain town about an hour away from where we live in Greeley. We drove up and went out to eat at this delicious BBQ place and then walked down the street to watch the parade. We stopped at a cute little chocolate shop and got some delicious peppermint hot chocolate and walked down to the parade route. As we were waiting for the parade to start it began to snow!!! It was beautiful!! I was so excited. I have been hoping it would snow in Greeley but it hasn't. I think that snow is magical and I love it! I know that I have not lived it in that much so I do not really understand the annoying parts of it but you have to admit that even if you do not like winter falling snow is one of the most beautiful things ever! Our favorite "exhibit" in the parade was actually by the US post office. They made little green elf shirts and carried the white letter boxes. They had a "drum major" (the person who leads a band for all you non-marching band folk) and they did this little routine with their boxes. It was so cute. I think we liked it so much because they seemed so proud of themselves. It was so cute and I do love getting mail so I am partial to the US postal services. Here are some pictures from the parade. We have such a hard time getting good pictures in the dark. Oh well.



Here we are with our peppermint hot chocolate! Delicious!


This float reminded me of the White Witch from Narnia, I wonder if that was their inspiration?


A creative twist on Goldilocks and the 3 bears



T' was the Night Before Christmas float. I am not sure if you can tell but I thought this float was so cute because they hung big pieces of candy above the bed like they were dreaming of it. Cute!



And of course here is Santa and his Sleigh! Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

veryterry said...

Sounds like you had a "cute" time! Just teasing. I am so wishing that we would get some snow too, even if it is just a little bit. I think you and I feel the same about snow. I'm not always into parades, but it looks like you found a good one. Very fun. Good way to start the Christmas season. Remember the good old Marysville Christmas parade and singing in it with Sunshine Generation? I hope Lisa does something like that some day. I thought it was so fun.
We're going home in just 13 days! We decided to go a little earlier and carpool with the Terrys. They're coming for Debra's graduation.

p.s. I also think it is much more fun when people actually comment!

Lydia said...

Oh how I miss parades! And the snow! And a place to get good hot chocolate, esp minty stuff! I had some great peppermint hot chocolate last Dec. when I was traveling to Idaho to buy our house. It was late late late and the only thing open in the airport was Starbucks! And there was some whipped cream and peppermint pieces sprinkled on top. Even though we have the commissary, we don't have everything. It helps with some day to day stuff, but there is no place like home!