Tuesday, December 16, 2008

All I want for Christmas.. are my wisdom teeth back in!

*Caution: Viewer Discretion advised due to a gross picture of Aprillee's teeth*

Friday December 12 2008 is a day that will live in infamy in my life (at least until I have children). At 10:45 am, sweet, cheerful April walked into Dr. Mellin's office here in Greeley to get her wisdom teeth out. While she did not expect this to be a pleasant visit she had hoped it would turn out a little bit better than it did. Today is day 5 after the extraciton and I feel like crap! I have been lightheaded and weak and sick to my stoamch since Saturday. Here are some lovely pictures of me trying to recover.




This is me the day I got my wisdom teeth out. Not a happy camper. I was really sleepy because of the anesthesia and spent the day in bed with ice packs on my cheeks well, for at least for as long as I could stay awake. I wasn't in too much pain this day because I slept most of the day, since then it has been a different story. Mark has been a total sweetheart though and taken really good care of me. No real surprise there though. He is the best!



One of the worst side effects for me has been the drugs they prescribed. I apperantly do not react well to Viccadin. On the bottle it says "may cause dizziness and drowsiness". In my situation there is no maybe about it. I actually think this is a common occurrence but I am not a fan of the stuff. What is annoying is that not only does my jaw hurt like crazy but I feel lightheaded and nauseas too. Today I went back to the Oral Surgeon because it hurts so much and found out that my fear of dry sockets was not without reason. It appears that is where I am headed. Bummer! Why couldn't my mouth just heal normally? So he put in some amazing mediacted things called dry pakcets and I feel like a new person or at least a live person again... I am going back Thursday to have these taken out and then he will put some new ones in. I am a little nervous though because we are flying to California (Whoo-hoo!) on Sunday and was hoping I would be completlybetter by then. Hopefully Thursday I wil go in and my mouth will look amazing and I will be feeling all better.



Its been little difficult to be in the Holiday spirit since I had this surgery. Here is me with my annoying teeth in front of our tree. Notice the red sore on my lip, yep that is from them strectching my mouth open to take out the teeth. The surgeon is actually a very nice man who has a crappy job! (Although he probably likes it)



Here they are! Actaully, they had to break one of them to get it all out and the weird thing was that one of them actually had 2 teeth fused together. Yes I am special! Sorry if this picture grossed you out, you were warned. I guess I really do not want my teeth put back in but they sure have been a headache. Hopefully I can go to work tomorrow and I will feel all better.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a sad post! I think getting my wisdom teeth out was the worse thing ever so I totally feel for you! Yes, even worse than having children...well - worse than recovering after the actual delivery anyways. And the Vicadon did the same thing to me - just remember that for when you do have a baby so they can give you something different.

Hope you feel better and I can't wait to see you!

Unknown said...

i'm so sorry to hear this has been such a pain! Have Mark give you a blessing before you fly! I'm sure that will help!

Did you tell him to put you on different medicine? You definitely shouldn't be taking any more Viccadin!

Michele said...

I hope you are feeling better today. I always hate being in pain. Especially when medicine does not help. I'm sure Mark has been great and doing everything for you. You do have a great husband (I really liked him during those college days!) =) I hope you feel better by the time you fly out to CA. How long are you staying in CA for? If you have time we should meet up and go to dinner or something.

veryterry said...

When I talked to dad last night he mentioned that your wisdom teeth were not treating you well. That stinks. I hope you are feeling better for the trip home. I don't know if you did it on purpose, but I do have to say that you are pretty cute putting your teeth on a Christmas towel to display. They matched your blog very nicely. I can't wait to see you guys!

Aprillee said...

Oh yes, the towel was planned! See you soon!

PeggyB said...

In the words of your mother, "Poor Baby, Poor Baby, Poor Baby"! Hope you're feeling great by the time you fly...be sure to tell your oral surgeon you're flying and ask if there's anything special you should do.

Emily said...

Oh so sorry that it was awful! Feel better soon! (And hope you never have kidney stones...)

Jenni said...

I'm getting mine out as soon as I can after tax returns come. I'm really not looking forward to it.. even more now! I hope you traveled safely to lovely California. Miss you guys!