Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valenitnes Day

We hope that you all had a great Valentines. We had a quiet, nice productive day, which are pretty much my favorite kind of days. We went out to Winchell's donuts for breakfast and then drove over to a city called Mead/Longmont to look at what houses were available and to check out this new school that we heard they were building. With all the recent budget cuts we wanted to see if the school was just started or almost finished. It looks really nice and this is encouraging to us because it shows at least a little economic growth. So we did that and then made these really cute heart shaped carrot cakes.


When Mark and I got married we registered for these great heart shaped dishes. They were one of my favorite gifts that we got. Unfortunately I have hardly gotten to use them at all so this year I decided I was going to make carrot cakes in them. It was a lot of fun. Mark always jokes when we move about how it wouldn't be a big deal if they got broken. I would be so sad. I can't wait to have a little girl one day who wants to have little tea parties and we can put stuff in them. So I made all these cakes and then we took them to some friends for Valentine's day.



Aprillee with the big and little cakes. The big cake was for us.



They tasted delicious too!



Mark and I decided to make dinner at home and have a fancy candle-lit dinner this year. We made this delicious tortellini and had sparkling cider. We used our fancy goblets from Egypt and just had a really nice relaxing day. After we ate we met up with some friends to watch what we thought was going to be this really cool hot air balloon show but it turned out to be a bust. That was too bad. It was advertised as the Loveland Lights and we thought it was going to be all these hot air balloons all lit up in the sky. It wasn't. It was one balloon tethered, and 3 baskets on the ground without balloons that would occasionally make the flames go really high. So we only stayed there like 15 minutes and then went to our friends house to play a game. The balloons (or lack of) didn't really matter though. We had a really nice day together which was the goal.

So, since the hot air balloons didn't turn out this year, I decided I would post some pictures of last years Valentines Day when Mark took me on a surprise trip to Luxor down in Southern or Upper Egypt and we went on a hot air balloon ride. It was amazing. We had such a good time! I have always wanted to go on a hot air balloon so it was really sweet of Mark to arrange it all as a surprise weekend getaway! We looked at prices here in Colorado and it was 250 dollars per person to go on a ride. We got to go on our balloon ride over Egypt for 50 dollars a person. We had the best travel agent in Egypt, its funny because here we don't think we will ever have a travel agent! It was like the best weekend in Egypt throughout the whole 2 1/2 years we were there.



Balloons being blown up, this is what we thought we would see in Loveland.



Mark and April, 6:00 AM watching balloons be blown up



Waiting the in Balloon Basket



Balloons taking off as we are taking off



Aprillee with sunrise and balloons in the background, this is like one of my favorite Egypt pictures. It was so amazing!



Balloon over Temple in Luxor



April and Mark after we landed



Thanks for the most amazing Valentines ever Markus!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love your cakes!! Every Valentines Day my Mom would make us our own individual heart shaped cakes with our names on them. It's one of my most favorite holiday traditions.

Unknown said...

Very cool! I'm sorry this year's wasn't like that! That's too bad, but I'm glad you enjoyed the day despite. Games are always fun! :)