Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day!

Here is a more typical 4th of July post.

This morning we drove to Monument to check out their 4th of July parade.  Unfortunately we had to walk a good 15 - 20 minute to the parade route and it was HOT! The area we had to walk in to get to the parade route (on the overpass of I -25) was pretty newly developed so it was definitely lacking in trees and shade. The parade was pretty fun, pretty standard for a small town parade.  I had plenty of blue and white to wear but no red but I took care of that by getting a festive sunburn while watching the parade.  After about 40 minutes I suddenly felt super lightheaded and decided I better go sit down in the shade of a building (since there were no trees nearby).  I am so grateful that the building was there. Passing out during a 4th of July parade is not at all festive.  Before we left I smartly put sunscreen on Jared but seemed to think I was invincible from the sun which based on my whole life I know is so not true. He seemed to enjoy the parade (and did not get sunburnt) but I don't think he thought it was the coolest thing so I do not think we will be visiting the Monument 4th of July parade again. After the parade we came home and re-hydrated and then went to some friends house for a BBQ.  I made a super fun JELLO dessert.  I have always loved the fun 4th of July desserts people make and finally made one. I also made some fun graham cracker flags.


 I loved this bagpipe band.  The crazy thing was that there were more of them then in the high school marching band.

 I had never seen elephants and camels in a 4th of July parade...

 Festive
I was trying to show the blue and red layers of JELLO.


We have now finished our traditional Root Beer Floats and are waiting for the fireworks to be set off at the baseball stadium that we can conveniently see from our house. It's already 10:40 and they are in the bottom of the 8th inning.  Baseball is so slow! We are also hoping that all the neighbors setting off their fireworks do not wake up Jared. We hope that your independence day celebrations were all you hoped they would be.
God bless America!

3 comments:

Linda said...

THANK YOU so much for blogging about the festive jello you made! Right as I saw the picture of the jello, I suddenly remembered that I was suppose to make jello for a funeral that is happening at our church today in 3 hours!! ALMOST FORGOT!!! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Glad you had a fun 4th of July!!

Rebecca said...

Very nice dessert! I'm not really a parade person, but I think a parade with bagpipes, camels and elephants would be pretty awesome!

Unknown said...

Those desserts are so cute! I hope your sunburn is gone. That's no fun, but it sounds like the rest of the day was fantastic. Hope you're doing well!