Saturday, October 22, 2011

Music to my ears



Today as Mark and I were folding laundry he asked me "what deadline do you want to give me to clean out my clothes in the closet?"  I have heard that the state of someones closet is a good indicator as to what kind of person they are, my side certainly matches my personality and really when wouldn't I jump at a chance to organize something like this?  I looked at him and said "Today at 3:00.  By then Jared will be done with his nap and we can take them to Goodwill."  I do not think that was the answer he expected.  I also was not expecting the question.  I had not said anything to him about getting rid of stuff recently at all.  But if you are going to do it why put it at a later date when it can be done right then. I LOVE getting rid of stuff.  I have pretty much gotten rid of all my stuff that I can for now so I was more then happy to help.  There have been a few items that Mark has held onto over the years that I never understood and today he got rid of most of them.  Below are 2 examples.

Exhibit A.


This is the shirt that Mark was wearing back in 2006 (yep 5 years ago!!) when he was held at gunpoint and we were robbed in our apartment in Egypt.  What? You were not aware that we were robbed?  That a man came to our door looking for money, pushing a gun into Mark's chest? That we lived right around the corner from CAC the "premier" school in Maadi in a really good neighborhood? That he came back a few days later to try it again and our boab (doorman) Ramadan caught him and the "Guards", yep they were just around the corner came and took him away?  And then Mark had to go to the creepy police station and identify him? Well we were and every time Mark has worn that shirt since I am reminded of it.   So happy to give it away.  And if someone ever buys it they will have no idea what happened in it. 

Exhibit B


Also a shirt from Egypt.  I never liked this shirt (which is fine, why would I need to like all of Mark's clothes anyway.) To me it always looked sloppy.  Any time Mark would wear it I would sort of cringe.  Thankfully he wore it a lot more in Egypt then he ever did here and we have been home a long time now.  So really why keep it when it is not being worn?  Most times we went over to the Red Sea this is the shirt he wore so I don't really have bad memories of this shirt but I am not sad to see it go.

Unfortunately I could not convince him to get rid of his Hawaiian shirt. I am almost positive he hasn't worn it for the last 3 years. It's funny how memories can be associated with everyday things like shirts. 

*Coming soon picture from our fantastic trip to Utah. I was sad to come back to Colorado, to real life.  Normally I am ready to come home after vacations and be in our own space but not so much this time.  It could be that I knew I was coming home to watch 2 kids who bicker with each other ALL THE TIME over the smallest things (Seriously, do most siblings do this because I am not looking forward to Jared and Lydia being this way) from 6:30 AM till 5:00 PM, M - F of this past week so I wasn't really going to be home anyway... But really we just had such a great time in Utah.  We got to see so many "old" friends and fall in Utah is so pretty and it was so nice to be with Mark's family.  But we've got things we need to do here, like transitioning Jared into a bed without rails and pulling together our ward Halloween party.

** Does anybody think it's weird when people ask if your pregnancy was planned or a surprise? As a happily married person who's other child just turned 2 and is LDS?  It seems off to me but lots of questions during pregnancy seem off to me.  Someone asked me today and they know me pretty well so I would think they would know that I would make every effort to plan something like this.  Anyway. Under 100 days to go! Hooray!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Great post! It's just like hearing you talk and I love it!

No - not all siblings bicker all the time. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I totally agree about the planned pregnancy question. Like it's any of their business anyways????