Sunday, July 27, 2014

1017 Stirling Court


We are renting a 2bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1380 square foot town home for the foreseeable future. Our home in Colorado was 1580 square feet and had such a great floor plan.  It also had three bedrooms.  I knew while we were living there that my kitchen was pretty great but not till I came here and saw I had ONE drawer did I realize how great it was. That being said now that we are all unpacked and everything is put away I am really happy with our location.  I wish there was a 3rd bedroom but the two we have are really good sized and we are loving the neighborhood we are in.  It's the RiverRun neighborhood and a great location.  When we tell people where we live in town they all comment on what a great spot it is. It sort of feels like it is in the middle of the things you want to be close to.  It's 15 minutes to downtown and the University of Virginia and 15 minutes the other direction to newer shopping. It has an awesome walking path and nice playground nearby.  Both we can access from our house easily.  The nicely paved path leads to the park, (Pen Park) the fitness trail and a nature trail. We also have access to a swimming pool and tennis courts.  The swimming pool is a 4 minute walk from our house with Jared, probably double that with Lydia but still, less then 10 minutes away. It's great.  Our patio also backs up to the Rivanna Trail which is a 20 mile trail that goes around Charlottesville. It has been a great spot so far and we are doing pretty well finding our way around.  We have met a few neighbors and they are all very friendly and welcoming.  It has been a really smooth transition. Jared and Lydia have never shared a room before so I was pretty nervous about that.  Our walk-in closet is huge so we have Lydia take her naps in there while Jared takes his in their room. We told them if they kept each other up Lydia would have to sleep in the closet. Jared actually wants Lydia in with him. He said he likes it so then he isn't lonely.  We have tried it about 5 nights and they are 3 for 2.  So she has stayed more then she has left so far.  We will see. 

Here are a ton of pictures of our new place and neighborhood:

 So much space! I so appreciate all the shelving the owners put in here and in the kitchen laundry closet. And I thought our closet in Colorado was good sized.

 We got new bedding. 
I am slightly obsessed with yellow and gray and pretty aqua blue  I LOVE it! 

 Leading into master bathroom. Closet is on the right. Shower on the left.
I had hoped to put our desk downstairs but it works way better in here. I like how it turned out. 

 From their bathroom.

 Jared and Lydia's bedroom and attached bathroom.  It is just a shower which at first disappointed me as they would have to take their bath in our bathroom then but we bought them these new towels and they have been asking to use their shower instead of a bath so that worked our great.  We can easily move Lydia into the closet and Jared in our room for visitors. 

 Since we have more stuff (mostly kitchen, that whole 1 drawer thing) than we we have space for we had to repack some boxes and throw them up here.  A few of them like the copy paper ones on the right are just full of moving supplies like tape and bubble wrap. It's not my favorite place to stereo something but at the same time it is because I had no idea where else we could put it all and it gets it out of the way.  We have a storage shed on our back patio that I was really excited about but because of the humidity I can't store cardboard boxes out there, so plan B. I am just glad it is put away even if it is in kind of plain sight.


 View from big chair in above picture.  We just need to print off our new family pictures and hang them up in that big empty space. 

 We have these really nice doors that lead to our patio.  
This is the view while on the couch. It is so green! 

 Our private woods. So many trees! I love it but will admit that even with the windows closed the bugs are so loud!! When we lay down to sleep at night I am just shocked at how loud they are. We have seen at least three deer here which Jared and Lydia love. They play "Babmi" a whole lot more here. Good thing we are not trying to grow a garden. 

Standing by doors looking into kitchen/entryway. 

See the 1 drawer by the fridge!! 

 Play area and Laundry closet. (standing at sink) We do have a very nice pantry for which I am so grateful.

Here are some pictures from the walking path.  It takes us around 10 minutes to get on the path and we are walking through nice shaded residential streets not busy ones. I have gone running twice and Mark once.  We love this paved trail!

 The path goes right by this golf course. 

 Down to the tennis courts

 To the Fitness Trail (.5 mile loop with some equipment for stretching and strengthening) 

 To the nature trail (3 miles round trip)

View from Pen Park.  So pretty! 


Our Pool

We went to play at the park and decide to go on an impromptu hike, because you can do that here, there are little trails everywhere.  We will have to quickly learn how to identify Poision Ivy.


 And in exciting news last Thursday, July 24th Jared learned how to pump his legs while swinging.  We have been talking about it for awhile now and practicing together.  Mark gave him an underdog and then he just took off. I am not even sure he realized he knew how to do it until I pointed out that he was moving himself!  We are super proud of him and glad he has figured this out. Oh Happy day!



We are super excited to be here and are feeling settled. Mark went and registered our cars and got his new license. I will go this week. We found out that here in Virginia (and maybe other states too) you can register your car for 2 years. SO smart!  He happily did that.  He also had to take the eye exam and just barely passed.  For at least a year now maybe 2 he has been talking about needing to get his eyes checked he really will need too now.  I am glad we are here with this much time before school starts so we can get all these things done. We did drive by his school last week so we could see where it was and how long it would take him. It is about 8 minutes away.  So nice. We will stop in this week. So many people we have talked to have told us how much they love Charlottesville and that they don't ever plan to leave. We have also heard that it is really safe.  We were talking to the leasing guy and he said he hasn't locked his car or house for 20 years.  We are slowly adjusting to the humidity.  We definitely feel it but it is not a awful as I thought it would be. Everyone keeps telling us that is has been a very nice mild summer I am so glad! We have been so blessed and had so many prayers answered.



WE LOVE IT!

One weird thing here in this neighborhood is the garbage system. People literally just put their trash bags on the sidewalk the day of and it gets picked up.  So weird but it gets done.  

 Can you tell we just moved in?


No comments: