Tuesday, July 29, 2014

On your mark, get set, go!

Around 5:00 today I got an email from a fun girl in our new ward.   Her name is Laura Farnsworth. In her email she told me about an event the Charlottesville Track Club was putting on.  Every Monday night in July they host family races at the UVA Stadium, which is super nice. Registration begins at 6 and the first race is at 6:30. I had just put dinner in the oven and wasn't sure we could make it but I knew it was something Jared and Lydia would totally love. So I had the kids hurry and change into some "racing" clothes and we ate dinner super fast. Mark looked up how to get to the stadium and off we went. I am so happy we did it.  It was such a fun event.  You paid 2 dollars per person to register and could participate in as many races as you wanted. There were about 8 different races.  Some for kids, some for siblings to run together, some for just adults and some adult/kids races.

We had Jared and Lydia participate in the 100 and 200.  Neither Jared or Lydia have played any group sports or "competed" so I was interested to see how they would do. Mark signed up for the mile and ran it in 6:36!! He is so good.  HE doesn't even have to train. He just walks up and does it. Its slightly annoying seeing as how I struggle with 2 miles and I run regularly. But Jared and Lydia did awesome.   They had great attitudes and loved participating. They lined the participants by age so the 2 year olds (Lydia) were first. Mark was her escort and just ran alongside her.  There were 8 - 10 other 2 year olds and she got 3rd place. So fun.

 "Ready, steady go!"
Lydia says this all the time! 


After Lydia the three year olds went and then the 4 year olds so Jared was up.  There were more 4 year olds than any other age, so they did 2 races.  Jared ran with 8 - 10 other kids and got second place! He was so proud of himself! I was too. He was just beaming.

 He is so funny about this shirt. It is his "Number shirt".  
He says wearing it makes him really fast! 



 Mark ready to go! 

the next race for Jared and Lydia was the 200.  There weren't are many 2 year olds this time and Lydia finished first of the 2 year olds and after most tot the three year olds.  The first race she was pretty focused and on this one, probably since it was longer she just sort of ran around. Towards the end Mark said she paid more attention. It was so cute to see her little legs running.g  Ahh I loved it!!! Jared did really well in his second race. He ended up getting third place.  We didn't really care what place they got but were pleasantly surprised they did so well.  It was just a super fun event.  



 Happy Participants!


It was so fun to watch the kids run around and play.  They were so excited.  I keep finding more and more things to love about Charlottesville. We are so lucky to live here!!! It was great to have a chance to visit with the Farnsworth's too. They seem like such a fun family. They have 2 boys a 6 and 3.5 year old and a little girl who is not one yet.  They live just up the street from us. I hope we can hang out with them a lot.  We are actually going to the County Fair with them Thursday. We're just so happy to be here. 

No comments: