2 weeks ago we went to Chris Green Lake for the first time. This area is right by the airport. During the summer you can swim in the lake and there appears to be a decent beach and a playground. One really fun thing about this hike were all the trail markers made from stacked rocks. Jared was so happy to be out with Peter and Joseph. Lydia is really becoming a great little hiker. I am not sure how much she enjoys it but she does well. It was fun to be out in the grew weather and see some colors appearing in the trees.
We counted over 20 of these markers along our way!
Made it to the lake!
Sunday Drive:
So I am slightly super paranoid about missing the leaves changing color. It's such a guessing game. What if they peak on a Wedseday? When Mark is in school? I know I can drive myself but I would rather be the passenger and get to see them without having to focus on the road. Mark is okay with this as he prefers to drive and does not care about Falls fun colors as much as me. They have peaked now and we almost got it just right. I find comfort in knowing that I now live in a great pace for fall colors (It's not New England but its pretty great) and can just keep trying! So last Sunday we went out a long Sunday drive to try and see the colors. We found some pretty colors but this year (according to the locals) was kind of a dud. There was never a really good cold freeze so the leaves were not as vibrant. I feel like the trees around town (and at the park) are better than the mountains which in a way is better because you can see the change and enjoy each day. We did come over a hill and see this pretty sight though an drove through some really nice green farmland with fun white fences. We drove out towards Elkton and Standardsville. Park of the drive took us through the Shenandoah National Forest which was really nice. I am so glad that Mark is willing to go on these drive and put up with my quest to see the trees change.
Better luck with the cold weather next year.
Shenandoah National Forest, Skyline Drive.
Last Friday the County Schools had a teacher work day so all the students had a day off. My friend Laura got a group of ladies together to go on a drive and then take a hike through the Shenandoah National Forest. Sadly most of the trees had lost their leaves, at least on the hike part. We drove through some very pretty sections which was nice. Jared, Lydia and I rode with my friend Tara which was great! The hike was not too difficult but a little much for Lydia. There were 4 adults and 9 kids. The youngest 2, who were 20 months and just over 2 were in packs their Moms carried them in but Lydia really had to work hard. It definitely didn't help that I neglected to pack sweaters for Jared, Lydia and I. I swear I checked the weather! Problem was I checked the weather for Charlottesville and it was at least 10 degrees cooler on the hike and way windier. We found sweaters for Jared and Lydia (at least my friends were prepared) but I was freezing the whole 2.4 miles. Poor Lydia was still really sad and cold. The hike ended up taking much longer then expected so we didn't finish until after 12:00. Lydia was so tired. We ate our picnic lunch and then drove home. The drive was just over an hour so we didn't get back till after 1:30, too late for a nap. It was a good attempt for some Fall fun but didn't quite turn out how I thought it would. Again, better luck next year. I will pack sweaters no matter what the weather says! The drive home took us a different way and while Tara was driving a large black bear ran across the road! Tara had to slam on her brakes. We were not close to hitting it but couldn't believe it happened! I never would have thought I would see a bear like that in broad daylight. It was crazy. Jared saw it too which he thought was great. We were so surprised.
Half way point We stopped for a little snack. It looked (and felt) more like winter to me than fall!
Jospeh, Lydia, Jared, Driggs, and Peter. Half the kids.
Monticello Trail:
Tara and I went back to the Monticello Trail this past week. It is such a nice easy place to go. Tara has a little girl who turned 2 in June so she and Lydia are just 6 months apart. We have story time together at the Library on Wednesdays. She is really fun to visit with and Lydia enjoys playing with Lainey. We put both girls in their strollers and enjoy the 4 mile (roundtrip) walk. It was fun to go back and see some more Fall colors. Mark wanted to go on Saturday so we went back and actually ran into Tara and her family. It was nice to visit with them. 

















No comments:
Post a Comment