Friday, September 18, 2015

Magic Tree house, Frontier Culture Museum and camping

I am so happy to have Fall weather coming!  So happy! I look forward to it all year.  We have not gotten to use our backyard fort as much as I would have thought because of bugs (ticks mainly I am so paranoid) and humidity but a few Sundays ago we had a most beautiful afternoon and so we went down to our fort tree house and read a Magic Tree House book.  Jared and Lydia have been really digging those books.  It is our first chapter book series and it is fun to read to them and then have them plead for me to read more chapters before bed or anytime I read really. I don't even think it is a delaying tactic. They really enjoy them. I am getting a little tired of them but will push on.  We are on #12.  Soon I will look for a new series.  We took our camping chairs down and enjoyed the book and fort.  I hope we will do it more in the next few months.




Labor Day weekend we had plans with some friends to drive over to VA Beach again and spend the day but ended up not going.  The weather had a 70% chance of thunderstorms and rain for most of the day which was really disappointing even though I enjoy a nice thunderstorm. Just not when we were supposed to spend a fun day at the beach.  Instead we met up at the Frontier Culture Museum. It is about 35 minutes way and basically has little houses that are replicas from different time periods.  We "visited" homesteads in Africa, Britain, Ireland, Germany, and the United States, (1600, 1700, and 1800 and an Indian Village which was Jared's favorite).  It was fun to see the animals and changes at the houses with the time periods.  The beach would have been more fun but we rented a golf cart to drive around and enjoyed visiting the sites.


 West Africa


 UK

 Ireland


Native Americans

Last weekend we went camping at Sherando Lake.  We met up with our friends the Lenox's and had a lot of fun together.  We had planned on staying there Friday night then swimming at the lake and hiking all day Saturday but again ran into rain. We knew it was in the forecast but wanted to go anyway. We set up camp and had dinner and attempted a campfire.  We brought firewood from our property that Mark had cut down this summer but apparently wood will not burn as well if it is freshly cut.  We had no idea so our campfire was kind of a bust.  We were still able to make S'Mores and visit around the embers. It started raining around 2:30 in the morning then stopped around 6:30.  Jared and Lydia were up for the day by 7:00.  We were fortunate to have a break in the weather to make breakfast and pack up camp. We went on a hike around the lake and when we were almost done it started pouring. It was not what we hoped for but we are glad we went.  Jared and Lydia loved using our tent and eating as many marshmallows as they could manage.



 Mark has wanted a camp stove for awhile and loved using it for the first time. It worked so well.


Waiting out the downpour. 

No comments: