Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book of Mormon reading celebration

Today, January 20th 2016 our family finished reading the Book of Mormon. Mark and I are pretty sure it has taken us at least the last 3 to 3.5 years to read through the whole book.  We read pretty much each night after we eat dinner.  Before anyone can leave the table we read a section of verses.  Jared and Lydia each read one verse and then Mark or I read the rest. I know we missed days while traveling or being on vacation but most days we are home we read.  Some days go better than others but we hope we are instilling in our children the importance of reading the scriptures.  Jared actually really enjoys our scripture reading time.  He is a good learner/listener and asks insightful questions and can answer questions we ask well.  Lydia is kind of a stinker at this point about reciting her verse but it comes in waves. Sometimes she has no problems other times she is so slow about it but we keep at it. The other night we were reading about the different gifts of the spirit in Moroni and Mark pointed out to Jared that one of his gifts is the desire to learn.  He told Jared about how when he gave him his baby blessing one thing he and I both really wanted for Jared (and Lydia) was for them to have a desire to learn about Christ to desire to learn of the truthfulness of things for themselves. Jared has told us more than once that he really enjoys reading the scriptures and we hope he always feels this way!

Awhile ago I saw that some friends of mine had a little party to celebrate finishing reading the Book of Mormon.  I thought it was the cutest idea and decided we would do something to celebrate when we finished.  So today I baked a mini cake, we blew up some balloons, and sang Scripture Power and Book of Mormon stories.  We went around the table and said what our favorite scripture story was.
Jared: Ammon (no surprise since he did cut off multiple arms)
Mark: 2,000 stripling warriors
Aprillee: Nephi and the broken bow
Lydia: Alma (Mark listed some for her and she picked Alma)

I really did not want to make a huge cake as Lydia's birthday is Saturday and I am making a cake for that so I found this cute little mini cake kit at the grocery store and used that.  It was perfect. I found this great sparkly navy blue frosting and gold sprinkles! It was fun. I am not a cake decorater but I do like to make fun simple things like this.



It was great to celebrate this accomplishment and to show Jared and Lydia the importance of reading the scriptures. I do love to celebrate occasions!

No comments: