Sunday, January 31, 2016

Fun in January

Mark and I went out on a date to a basketball game at Albemarle High School.  Its fun to go to these games and feel the energy of the kids there.  The school is the Patriots yet for some reason their student body wore neon clothes.   Albemarle ended up wining and we had fun.




Scripture Power

 

Mark is currently serving as the Primary chorister.  For January he taught them "Scripture Power." Our good friends the Farnsworth's are teaching a class in there so one day after church she sent me a text talking about how they all had "Scripture Power" stuck in their heads and how it was driving her husband Josh crazy.  The song is now banned from their house.  Mark asked me to take a picture of the three of them doing the scripture power pose and send it to Laura.  I love these three so much! 

In the middle of January Albemalre County had MLK day off and then a teacher work day following that so we spent both days up in Harrisonburg. One day I met up with my friend Tara at the children's museum there.  It is a really nice fun museum. The exhibits are really up to date and well maintained. They have a science room and an incredibly well stocked art room.  They also have a theater room complete with scenery changing equipment, lots of costumes, a light/sound booth and plenty of face paint with fun mirrors. Lydia loved the costumes and face paint and Jared loved working at the ticket booth with money.  They had many more exhibits including a mechanics shop which Jared seemed to really enjoy too. We were there just over three hours and could have stayed even longer. 



Light and sound booth with great effects. 

Mechanics Garage

Mark came up with us one of the days and we went roller skating.  It was the first time we had taken Jared and Lydia and I am happy to say that they loved it! I enjoy roller skating so much and it was so great to be at an actual rink (not a rec room like Mark and I went to last January) with a DJ and disco balls.  What was really great was that the rink had plenty of "walkers" on hand for kids to use so they could skate.  At first I could tell Jared was not loving it that it was too hard but after a few laps around the rink he gained more confidence and started having a great time.  It was really heartwarming as one boy probably a year older than Jared came to talk to him and encourage him. He talked about how it was his first time too and gave Jared some good tips.  It was awesome.  Jared and I were both sad to leave and hope to go back soon.  They have asked to go the last 2 weeks so we will have to make it happen soon. Mark does not love roller skating and was such a good sport to come with us.  He was happy to "help" Lydia and use the support of the walker himself just a little. He did a great job and was happy to report that he didn't fall once.  The outing didn't end very well with Lydia having a major melt down.  Jared and I got our skates off and turned them in and then of course she was ready to skate again oh well. We will definitely be back. I particularly enjoyed skating with Jared and Lydia as it made me feel cool.  I am not super athletic. I am not going to be out making awesome shots or scoring cool goals but I have some great skating skills. Such good memories with my family and from my childhood. 





No comments: