Saturday, July 16, 2016

Fun around Charlottesville

Another week of summer gone.  We started the week off with Slurpees for 07-11.  Jared and Lydia had never had a Slurpee before and of course loved them.  I can't remember the last time I had one and it was delicious.  They are just not a go to treat for me which made it more fun.  I know they will look forward to July 11 next year.


We finally made the trip over to Yoders.  It's a cute store with a petting zoo attached.  We enjoyed some yummy sandwiches in the rocking chairs on the big porch and then checked out the animals.  It's funny because it really is just a store but its' a pretty popular place for families to go to.  Jared and Lydia enjoyed the animals and on our way home we stopped at Tastee Freeze which is a run down looking diner place not really by anything on 29. We noticed it the last time we drove up to DC. Mark and I had commented that we would like to stop there because it looked like a good ice cream option and it was.  We got soft serve and it was great.




At home we had a creepy visitor and learned about Outer Space and the Zoo. We also got all out pipes put in and the patching done.  We never loved the color of the downstairs bathroom so Mark repainted it.  He did most of it, I just did some touch up.  I am not sure I love the new color we picked (summer mist) but it is better than the one the previous owners chose. Its nice to have most of the downstairs put back together.  I will have to sweep and dust it a few times to get all the sheet rock  dust off but its done.

We came home from church Sunday and this black snake greeted us. It was quite a surprise.  Its pretty big, you can see its head poking up over in the grass. I have never seen one on our property before which has been surprising.  I am grateful it was just a black snake.  It's probably been helping us out, eating bugs and mice. 

I combined 2 weeks themes because last week I was not very motivated for learning times and the plan was to go to a zoo but we didn't have time so Yoders counted as our zoo excursion.  We did some fun activities and they both know a lot more about Outer Space then they did before.  Neither Jared or Lydia have been particularly interested in Space but when we were picking our themes for the summer Jared expressed interest in it so it made the list. 

We did this cute moon activity that was a hit.  
We learned about the phases of the moon with the help of Oreos.  

Lastly Mark and I went on an awesome kayaking date Friday night. Jared had read another 10 books  (he is doing really well and enjoying his summer reading) and the lightsaber piece he picked was a trip for a mini cupcake.  While we were at the cupcake shop I had the great idea that I should get cupcakes for Mark and I to enjoy on our kayaking date that night. I also found out that Jared doesn't particularly care for cupcakes!!  He doesn't like the frosting on them but that did not stop him from getting an everything cupcake and enjoying it.  It was a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting topped with: chocolate chips, chocolate pretzels, peanut M&M's, and Reese PB cups. He picked out the stuff he really wanted and skipped most of the frosting. I got key lime and lemon and they were delicious.  It was a beautiful night to be out paddling. The weather was great and it was so peaceful and relaxing. We went out on the reservoir down the road from us instead of Chris Greene and it was fun to go somewhere new.  Last Saturday we kayaked at Walnut Creek so we have now gone to: Chris Greene Lake, Sherando Lake, Walnut Creek, and the reservoir.  We are loving our kayak.  

So grateful the Shaw's are so kind and let us borrow their kayak for our date. I go back and forth between wanting another kayak and a bike. 



Mark's mom, his sister Cathryn and her two kids are coming out here next Friday.  They leave Utah Monday and start heading East. Sue rented a motorhome for the next 3 weeks and they are going on a big adventure. We are really looking forward to them visiting and can't wait to show them how great Charlottesville is, we're sure glad we made the list.  They will spend Friday- Monday here then head over to DC.  We will then meet them in Palmyra at the end of next week. Sue has already been here but not Cathryn.  Ian and Anya are 9 so older than Jared and Lydia but they will be happy to see some cousins. 

No comments: