We had kind of a marathon day Saturday. Friday was Constitution day and since we had just been to Independence Hall last month we decided to celebrate the Constitution a little more. Within in 35 minutes of Charlottesville there are 3 former presidents houses. Jefferson's Monticello, Monroe's Ash Lawn Highland and Madison's Montpelier. To celebrate Constitution day free tours were offered at Montpelier. We had never been out to that property before and decided to take advantage of the free house tour. I really liked how that house is laid out and presented. It was fun to do a quick tour and then play some colonial games on the back lawn. They also have an active archeology site which was fun to learn about. Once upon a time I wanted to be an archeologist and Jared and Lydia loved doing some digging in their archeology lab. The Madison's loved to entertain so when we walked up to the house to meet "Mr Madison" we looked back over the lawn and saw lots of people playing and walking and visiting and it made me think how this would have been a common site during their time there. It was a fun outing. We have not done any other house tours with Jared and Lydia and they did pretty well. They especially loved playing the games.
As I mentioned it has been really hot here and we have not had much rain unlike last September when it rained all the time. So VA is starting to look really dry which is odd to see, makes me feel like I am back in Northern CA. I am glad we could head out there.
Mr. Madison himself.
I talked to Jared about asking him questions and we talked about a few options and he eventually got enough courage to talk to him. I was surprised that Lydia was as willing as she was to go by him.
Signing the Constitution. We all left our "John Hancock's".
We had quite a bit of soccer yesterday too. Jared and Lydia had their games at 9:00 and thankfully it was at least cooler than the previous week. Jared really enjoyed it and scored a goal which made him happy. Lydia had fun playing different games with Mark to practice drills and then they played a little scrimmage too and she seems to really be figuring it out. She scored 3 goals. I am not sure there was actually a goalie there each time but she dribbled it down the field and scored. I was walking back and forth between both fields and got to see one of her goals and a really good pass by Jared which was great. For more soccer fun we headed over to UVA for the men's soccer game. We met up with some friends and had fun watching the game, visiting, and watching all the kids run around and roll down the grassy hill. The game started at 7:00 so thankfully the sun set soon after we got there. Unfortunately, the game didn't end until 2 over times. We left at the end of regulation time and it was tied 3-3. 20 minutes later it was still 3-3. I am glad we left when we did. Jared and Lydia didn't get to bed before 9:45 which is really late for them.
We also stopped by Toys R Us for a little LEGO project. They were handing out free Cogsworth sets so we got one for Jared and Lydia each. Jared built his and then made Lydia's. He then proceeded to take his outside and start tossing it up in the air. I told him it was a really bad idea but he did it anyway. He tossed it up, it landed on the sidewalk, broke into many pieces and now he can't find all the pieces. It was intact for maybe 14 minutes? I went out to help him look for a few minutes but I am fairly certain we will never find all the pieces. Maybe he will learn from this? Either that he should not throw LEGOS up into the air or even better that he really should listen to his Mom. I am including this because Jared and Lydia always want stories about them when they were young. Mark commented that if they ever needed stories for talks or lessons or projects when they get older they should have a decent source here on this blog.
Hannah and Matt came up from Lynchburg to stay the night and we had fun visiting with them. Matt can start looking for jobs in January. It will be a bummer when they head out. Jared and Lydia really love them and baby Norah. They came to our Sacrament meeting and Jared and Lydia loved having Norah to watch. Next week is the Primary Program, we will see how they do!














No comments:
Post a Comment