Jared and Lydia's soccer uniforms came in on Wednesday and they were excited to wear them. Mark brought them home with him after practice. I was concerned that Jared would put up a fuss because Lydia's was a pretty blue and his was white with red stripes and while he was disappointed he handled it way better than I expected which was nice. They looked really cute when they got all their gear on. This week was the first week of "games". Lydia is on a 3/4 yr old team and Jared is on a 5/6 yr old team. Lydia ended up playing a team of 4 and 5 year olds and got totally creamed! They were not evenly matched at all. She didn't really care though and technically they were not keeping score. I think she (and her team) would have had more fun if her team actually had a chance to score a goal or have the ball on their side of the field but such was not the case. She was a really good sport though and cheered for everyone and complemented both teams when they did something good which was really sweet. My favorite was when she said to her friend Ziva, "that's the spirit!!" Too funny and cute! Jared's team just split up and played against themselves. His team scored less goals which he did not love but he handled it really well. I was proud of him. When I was watching he seemed to be playing mostly defense and did a nice job going after the ball and clearing it. He's growing up!
After soccer we went home and got Jared and Lydia cleaned up and headed over to UVA for a picnic. Right when we moved here the well photographed Rotunda on the grounds at UVA was closed for renovations. Any time we have gone to Grounds it has been covered with scaffolding or construction barriers so we had never been able to go in or even see the whole structure. This past weekend it opened to the public so we went and checked it out. It is really nice and looks great. I don't have anything to compare it to but it was fun and historic. There was an old fireplace uncovered in the remodeling in the old chemistry lab which was dated from 1825 and some fun displays. There are 3 levels, a visitors center in the basement, the main floor with classrooms and a loft type space up stairs which opens up all around the larger lecture room. It's more like a wide hallway that goes around the room. Most of the rooms are ovals or circular so its a fun building to go into. There are fun chairs and tables people can study at and we made sure to try all the different styles. It was fun to finally get to go in there. We overheard some people talking about the "secret societies' at UVA and it was fun to hear some of the stuff you might read about or watch in a movie. The most sought after secret society is the 7 society from what I understand. Its a type of service society but I don't know much more about it since we really don't have a lot to do with UVA. We had our picnic under an oak tree near the Rotunda and just enjoyed being somewhere different.
After UVA I cut out and baked 6 dozen sugar cookies. I was supposed to bring 3 dozen for the primary kids to decorate in the primary room but I am really bad at volume. I tripled the recipe and really did not need too. Oh well. The primary kids loved decorating them. Saturday was also the women's broadcast and I got together with some sisters before hand for dinner. It was nice to visit and spend some time with some great ladies. Sunday was the Primary Program. Both Jared and Lydia did a nice job with their parts. I couldn't see Jared very well when they were singing but he did a decent job attempting to be reverent when they were sitting up there. Lydia on the other hand did a terrible job. The Monday before the program we had a FHE lesson on not following other people if they are making bad choices and it lasted on her for about 10 minutes. She and the kids right by her were not interested at all in listening to the other children speaking. There were so many times I wanted to go get her and make her come sit by me. I think half way through she started playing some made up game on the stand in front of everyone, front and center. She did do it quietly from what I could tell but man, that was a struggle! I understand she is still young and it is not very fun to just sit somewhere but I did hope she could hold it together better than that. Maybe next year. I'm glad its over. Mark and I both got released from callings Sunday. I was the Primary Secretary and he was the chorister. (He is keeping his other 2 which are Cub Scout Master and Stake Executive Secretary. I personally wish he could have been released from Cub Master not chorister but oh well.) I am now the Gospel Doctrine teacher which will be good for me. I need some help reading my scriptures with more purpose and this will help with that for sure. The teacher I'm replacing is a really good presenter and people seemed to really like him so it is intimidating to be following him and be ready to lead adults in this class. I do wish there was more than one teacher. Having to teach a class like that each week seems a bit much. I was talking briefly to the Primary president, her husband is who I am replacing and she said that he always said the class is really helpful and does a great job participating. I have maybe been to this ward's gospel doctrine class once? Mark and I got called into primary right away so it really is a lot of unknowns. I am glad General Conference is next week so I have a little bit more time. It was a busy fun weekend.














No comments:
Post a Comment