Sunday, January 8, 2017

First snow of 2017 and happy news




Friday afternoon we started seeing some snow flurries.  We didn't expect them to amount to much and were pleasantly surprised when we actually got 2-3 inches of snow.  Jared and Lydia were dressed and out playing in it by 8:00 Saturday morning. I got a few toys for them and filled some spray bottles with colored water and then stayed inside nice and warm.  Mark kindly made crepes and hot chocolate, it was a great way to start our snow day.  It snowed for most of that morning and Jared and Lydia spent a good amount of time out playing.  We all worked together to shovel most of our driveway and then I spent a good part of the morning practicing the piano while Jared and Lydia enjoyed our basement.  My teacher is having me learn Teach Me to Walk the the Light from the simplified LDS hymns and it is so hard.  I look at the official version and see that this version is indeed simplified but it is taking me a long time to remember where the notes are. I feel pretty good about reading and recognizing the notes but play painfully slow.  Why is it so much harder to play with the left hand? I have been happy to learn how much I enjoy practicing the piano.  Even when it is hard I like to sit down and play and can end up spending a lot of time going over the songs.   It's been a good experience for me and I am glad I heard that Breanne was teaching. I think leaning hymns is nice but I want to learn some more popular songs too, maybe I should look for a really easy Disney book?  I am just glad I can learn after all this time.






We originally weren't going to go sledding because it just wasn't that much snow but in the end I couldn't resist and Jared and Lydia were just as excited to go.  Mark attended a baptism and while he was there we ran some errands and on the way home I just decided to drive down Chris Greene Lake Road to see how clear it was and decided we could drive down pretty far.  Since we wouldn't have to walk from the top we felt we had enough time to do a few runs.  Just as we were putting on boots Mark got home and came with us which was great. I am so glad we went. I love sledding so much.  Strangely I felt less control and like we went much faster even though there was not very much snow. Jared seemed to have just as much fun crashing into the reeds at the bottom at he did actually going down the hill.  While we were there a friend of his from school who happens to like on Chris Greene Lake Rd came with his Dad.  Jared was so happy to sled with him.  His name is Markus (his dad's is Eric we actually met at a field trip in the Fall) and he is one of the kids that Jared talks about the most. It was a great way to end our snow day.



Lydia was pretty nervous at the beginning but soon remembered that she did really like it. 

So much (on purpose) crashing!  He loved it. 

We head from Albemarle County that there will be no school tomorrow which makes sense.  The roads seem pretty icy, it just didn't warm up very much today.  So much that we only had Sacrament meeting today.  A friend had texted me about being disappointed to not hear my lesson right before we walked out the door for church.  So I went to check my email and there it was, only Sacrament meeting. It was funny to not know until about 1:10.  We would have been in for a pleasant surprise when they announced it at church. It was nice to have another break from teaching and I already have my lesson ready for next week. They did not announce the new teacher which was a bummer but talked to me about it before church started.  Hopefully next week. It will be nice to have Mark around tomorrow.  Jared could very well end up not having school on any of the Monday's in this month.  They had last Monday off, snow day tomorrow, the 16th is MLK, and the 23rd is a teacher work day.  We will see about the 30th.  My Mom is coming out on the 18th and we are very excited to see her!  She will be here for Lydia's birthday which will be fun for her and Lydia especially. Since Lydia is turning 5 she gets to have a party, her first official friends party.  We are not having too many people over but I had fun taking her ideas and planning it out last night. She really wanted a Penguin party so we are doing a winter theme with a good dose of penguin activities.  I think it will be really fun.  

In other fun news I met with a new family from the 1st ward on Friday and they are going to send their son to preschool!! I am beyond thrilled and excited.  They have to find a doctor here but as soon as she can get the forms filled in he will be here.  I had sent an email to the 1st ward account before Christmas and had gotten an email from her but then never heard from her again so I figured she changed her mind but earlier this week she wrote back.  It was such a  happy moment. After I didn't hear from her I felt like I finally truly accepted that my class was just meant to be these 4 kids and that was fine and things were working out fine.  We could make things work.  I feel like I thought I had accepted this before (back in the Fall) but I guess maybe I didn't and once I did, I truly turned it over to the Lord and made peace wth it (this has been a really long process) and then I get this blessing.  Then I get this answer to so many prayers said. It has been an unpleasant reminder that my timeline is not the same as the Lord's but it is having a happy ending and I am grateful.  I really like this family.  They are actually hoping to buy a house in our ward.  They want to send their kids to Baker Butler and be in our ward which I would love.  It turns out her Mom ran a preschool from their home while she was growing up (like for 20 years!) and her dad was a middle school teacher (sound familiar?) and she has her degree in early childhood education.  When they came into our preschool room she said (this is me paraphrasing)  " I love this, it feels like home." Her son had asked about preschool when they moved here and she had told him they just hadn't found it yet and when she told him they were coming here on Friday she said, "we found your preschool!" and he jumped up and ran to the door.  It really means a lot to me that with her background, she felt that my program was fantastic (I sent her my objectives and our daily schedule) and what she wanted her son to be involved in. She joked that she wished she could come to class too.  We had a great time visiting and I hope to get to know her and her family soon.  Side note, her husband's name is Mark! I am so grateful. 

No comments: