Sunday, February 5, 2017

Fun times with Marmee in town

My Mom came into town just before Lydia's birthday. It was great to have her here. Lydia was so happy when she got here.  Since Jared was at school she got a lot of uninterrupted Marmee time.  We took my Mom to check out the newly opened Rotunda at UVA, visited Ash Lawn Highland, James Monroe's "almost home" and made a trip up to the temple and DC.  Mark and I went in to do sealings together which rarely happens and was so nice and Jared and Lydia did a nice job with my Mom in the visitors center. My Mom wanted to visit the Holocaust Museum which I was not very excited about but we did it and she was glad we went there.  There are so many great museums there when I mentioned a few I could see my Mom planning which one we would visit next time she comes out.  She also helped me prepare games and things for Lydia's party and did lots of preschool prep with me.  She is also a great Gospel Doctrine teacher and it was fun to talk about my lesson with her. It was a nice visit with enough fun things happening and enough everyday life things. As we dropped Marmee off at the airport (the second time, her first flight was so late coming from Charlotte that she would not make her connecting flight in Chicago so she got a bonus night here) Lydia said to me, "Now our house isn't fun anymore." Guess I'm not that exciting. It was lovely to have her here.





This museum was hard.  To see pictures of their lives before (like here in this walkway) and then during and after was such a contrast.  It was particularly hard thinking of how people in many countries are having similar experiences, even with all the "never again " speeches and quotes I read.


We did this ice rescue one day in preschool.  Jared, Lydia and I have done it before and it continues to be a favorite around here.  I knew if I did it in preschool I would need to do it for Jared too. 

Before my Mom arrived we went over to UVA for their swimming and diving meet against Virginia Tech, their big rival.  I was actually hoping to see the diving competition but it was held on Friday night so there was just swimming this day. Jared and Lydia really liked seeing the olympic swimmers this past summer.  Jared loved cheering for UVA who did really well. Lydia was not quite as impressed as Jared but still had a nice time. The women's team at UVA is really strong, VT really had very little chance of winning but they worked hard. I can't imagine spending that much time in a swimming pool! 



No comments: