Monday, October 23, 2017

Day in DC

My sister Susanna had never been to Washington DC before so we planned a day trip up there with my Mom.  When I asked her what she wanted to see her list was not what I expected at all.  She wanted to attend a high tea, eat at a french cafe, see the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument and check out Meridian Park which seems to be DC's very small version of Central Park. Once she got here we started talking about sights and she revised her list.  We ended up going to Ford's Theatre, Georgetown for the French Cafe, the Lincoln Memorial/Washington Monument and the Native American Museum.  It was a long fun day.

The drive into the city went really well. I have only driven there once before but felt pretty confident. We dropped my Mom off at the theatre and then found our parking garage. Susanna and I quickly walked to meet her and lined up for the tour.  I had never been to the theatre and enjoyed the visit and  talk given by the park ranger.  Susanna wondered if the park ranger wanted this type of an assignment or if when they went into the field they hoped to be in the forest.  I would prefer a historic spot like this tour but she would for sure want the forest.  Anyway.  I learned more about the events surrounding the assassination and how premeditated it was.  It was really interesting.





This exhibit was across the street and was awesome.  It is made of over 15,000 books.  The idea was to show that among modern Americans, no one has had more books devoted to them than Lincoln.  

After the theatre we hopped on the DC Circulator for the drive over to Georgetown.  The bus lines worked great.  The stops were easy to find and we didn't have to wait long for each stop.  Susanna found a French Cafe she wanted to try so we stopped there first.  The food was good and I was glad she could cross that off the list.  She also found an alley called Blues Alley where one of her favorite performers put on their last show so she was excited to stop there.  Our last stop in Georgetown was the "Old Stone House."  This house happens to be the only pre-Revolutionary war house left in in DC  and it was cool to stop in.


Pauls Cafe 

After Georgetown we rode the bus over to the Lincoln Memorial.  Susanna loved it.  It was a beautiful Fall day and really pleasant to walk around the memorial.  We had a little time left after the Memorial and decided to stop by the Native American Museum another place I had never been to. I knew it would be a sad place to visit as Native American's have never been treated well in the history of this country.  It was more political than I thought it would be but it makes sense that it would be that way. I really loved the beadwork on display.




The Native American Museum has really cool architecture. 

It was a great day in the city and I am so glad we made the trip up.  It was fun to show Susanna around the city especially since she had never been there.  On the drive home we stopped at Moo Thru, a great way to end the day.


No comments: