Saturday night we were fairly sure church would be canceled. Quite a few members of our ward live a good distance from the church and it takes a long time for back and side roads to get cleared around these parts. Since we figured it would be canceled Mark and I came up with a plan for home church and Jared and Lydia both loved it. We wanted to do something to make it seem like a regular Sunday and still stick to our Sabbath day schedule. We now have church at 9:00 so we decided we all needed to be in clothes almost as nice as church clothes by 9:00. We started with some singing. We each chose *two songs we wanted to sing and it started things off really well. After that we did a recap of what we had discussed that week in our Come Follow Me studies (and told some fun stories from our BYU Idaho days) and then to tie into todays section we called Mark's Mom and had her tell us some stories about her mom (Helga Evans). It was Helga's birthday yesterday and the section we did was on family history. After that we had a little break with a snow themed snack and then we went downstairs and watched "The Testaments." All these years later it is still a really powerful movie. We normally watch it around Easter but it doesn't hurt us to watch it other times. It was peaceful and lovely.
I made maple glaze pancakes for lunch and then Mark and I went out to shovel the driveway and play in the snow with Jared and Lydia. Jared repeatedly tried to hit Mark with snowballs and Mark repeatedly threw shovelfuls of snow at Jared. Lydia attempted to sled down our driveway and was fairly successful. After we finished the driveway we worked on some snowmen together. I have never quite understood the different types of snow but todays snow seemed really good for snowman building and they turned out really well. Definitely the best snow people I have ever built. I don't actually think I have built a snowman with Jared and Lydia. I was probably close to their ages the last time I built one. Jared and Mark did most of the rolling and stacking with Lydia attempting to pitch in and I did most of the shaping and personalizing with Lydia. Al my preschool supplies saved over the years really added to our snowmen.
We had FHE, played games most of the afternoon and then had some alone time while I made dinner. It was a fun day together with some good church vibes thrown in. Mark plans to take them sledding tomorrow while I am at work. We love snow days!
In full disclosure:
*I also yelled at Jared for throwing snowballs at Lydia while she stood in the doorway trying to take off her snow clothes.
*And I raised my voice at him this morning when I went down the stairs to the basement to tell him to come up for "Home church" and he moaned and groaned as if his life was ruined.
*And Mark and I both told Lydia to take it down several notches when she was getting riled up way too much. And to stop complaining about dinner as I finished making it and sat down to eat. She started eating and said "This is so good together!" Yeah, we know.
*Songs chosen
April: Tell Me the Stories of Jesus and Beautiful Savior.
Mark: Jesus Once of Humble Brith and Army of Helaman
Lydia: Reverently, Quietly and Gethsemane.
Jared: Angels We Have Heard on High and Come Follow Me









No comments:
Post a Comment