We went caroling Thursday at an assisted living home. Mark and I volunteered to organize this activity for the cub scouts. We invited the activity day girls to join us. Before we started I had asked Mark to be the one to choose (from a folder of songs) and announce the next songs we would sing. I figured having one person in charge who has a great "teacher" voice would make the transitions smoother. We sang our first song and what did he do? Ask for requests. I tried to soften the look of annoyance I gave him since I was in front of a lot of people but seriously.
We had a decent turnout and enjoyed singing and visiting with the residents. I loved seeing the residents sing along. We went to the church for hot chocolate and cookies after which was nice.
Friday we attended our ward party. At this party and the Halloween party both Jared and Lyda ditched Mark and I to sit at tables with friends. I am a little nervous about this but it seemed fine. I guess we have reached a new milestone with parenting. The party was really low key and seemed to go well. I hope that next year we can do a breakfast instead but know that many people want a dinner not a breakfast.
Saturday we finally managed to get the rest of our Christmas light up on the house. We tried Wednesday but 2 of the 3 strands of lights ended up not working. Mark grabbed some more that night but didn't have time to hang them up until Saturday. I'm glad they are up. That afternoon we attended a baptism. Lydia's baptism is coming up in just over a month. We picked out and ordered a dress for her which was fun and have enjoyed her excitement for the upcoming event.
That evening we drove down to Richmond to check out the lights at the Botanical Gardens. I had wanted to do this for awhile. We invited the Shaws and are so glad they could come. The lights were so beautiful and well done. Parking was kind of crazy but it worked out. Everything went well until Lydia wandered off.
We had stopped near a hill because the kids wanted to roll down the hill and for whatever reason Lydia left without telling us. It was awful. We had no idea where she was for 8 - 10 minutes. Mark and Chris stayed with the boys and Julie and I went in opposite directions to look for her. After a bit Julie called me to let me know she had found her. Earlier in the night shortly after we arrived and the boys had gotten ahead of us I had the distinct impression that we should pick a meeting spot so if we got separated we could meet up but I ignored it. The one thing we are told not to do again and again. Julie and Lydia both shared how they had said a prayer for help and right after they finished Julie saw Lydia. We had never been to the gardens so were really unfamiliar with them and it was dark and really spread out so while I knew we would find her it was a horrible 10 minutes. I'm so glad the Shaws were with us to help and nothing happened to Lydia.
The theme was "Things with Wings. " These were the Flying Pigs.
The other story of the night was super weird. We stopped for dinner before heading to the gardens. Once we arrived at the gardens we opened the trunk to get out coats and in our trunk was a carseat! We all just stared at it so confused as to why it was in there. We quickly checked to see if there was a baby in there and thank goodness there was not! Mark had not locked the car while we ate (What!!??) and someone had gone to the car maybe thinking it was theirs and put it in there. The Shaws were waiting for us inside so we just left it there planning to stop at the restaurant on the way home. When we got into the car the baby doll in the carseat started crying. It sounded so much like a newborn it was awful. Lydia was completely freaked out, almost to tears. We got to the restaurant and Mark took it in. When he got back to the car he told us that it had a label of the Henrico public schools on it. It must be from one of those classes schools offer. Whoever put it in our car is clearly not ready to have a child. The guy at the counter said that someone had just called a few minutes before we arrived. We left at 5:50 and didn't come back until after 8:00 so thats a decent gap of not knowing where your "child" was. It was a crazy twist to the evening.






No comments:
Post a Comment