I wish these showed up as motion. They are super fun.
Walkie Talkies now make a regular appearance and add more fun to walking a mile as well.
Come Follow Me: King Benjamin. When Jared and Lydia were planning their lessons for Come Follow Me they loved the idea in the manual to build a tent and tower so we did and it was fun. I hope they have some good memories for family scripture study.
Outside time. We've still been doing all kinds of yard work. Mark, Jared and I got our first case of poison ivy so the "safe" time to work in our yard is over. I hoped for more time but no luck. I mean the area nearest our house, the trampoline, hammock, campfire (high traffic areas) are fine but all the stuff behind the campfire is questionable and that is what we have left to clear out. I think Jared got it from the woods though, not our yard. I am so pleased with how our yard currently looks but have a hard time staying motivated because as soon as it stays warm ALL the weeds come back and its just a losing battle. We had another campfire and made smore's this time. We let Jared and Lydia stay up late to star gaze and were treated with beautiful clear skies. I am glad we did this now before the sun sets even later.
We refilled our sandbox and it has been a great addition to staying entertained while at home. The preschool chalkboard is making a comeback too. The trampoline is getting more use too which is awesome. The safety netting around it had been looking bad so we got rid of it a few months ago. I feel quite rebellious letting my children play on it with no net. I hope this continues to go well and does not make us end up in the ER, one of the last places we want to be near currently. Luckily its just the two of them and maybe they are almost as likely to get hurt with or without a net.
Jared got this hat for Easter. They came up with a new game, "Get the Hat" and play it frequently. This second picture makes me laugh. Lydia is quite intimidating.
The Internet brought us: Disney Dole Whips, sidewalk chalk mosaics and 5 ingredient bagels. All of which were very well received. I was surprised at how much Jared loved the Dole Whips. I knew Lydia would since she loves pineapple but I was not sure about Jared. He was crazy about them. We made some Saturday and Sunday.
One day Lydia and I were talking about things to do and I talked about the sidewalk chalk mosaics that so many people had been making. She loved the idea so Sunday afternoon we all worked on it together. We took our church music outside and enjoyed the amazing weather together. It was a really nice Sunday afternoon activity.
5 ingredient Bagels. I decided to try this out Friday and loved them so much I asked Mark to make another batch (I had to start working). The recipe only made 4 which was not enough. These are cinnamon sugar and one is plain with kosher salt on them. I love that I had the ingredients on hand. I made some egg salad for lunch and ate it on the plain bagel and was so happy.
Online School started and went well. To be honest, we all liked the schedule and stuff Mark and I came up with more. It felt more varied and more structured with time for them to pursue some of their own interests. They can still do that but once they finish the "required" stuff they are ready to be done for the day. Jared decided he wanted to be on a regular daily schedule so he now sets his alarm for 6:30 which is absurd because he has no need to be up at that time but I am not going to tell him he can't get up and start his day. I love routines and schedules so I get it. I just think he should push it back like 45 minutes to an hour. It could be just a reaction to this whole situation and wanting to feel like now that he has requirements from his teacher he wants to feel more normal, more in control. I don't know but if he wants to establish good daily routines than I am good with that.
I seem to be following a pattern of staying busy and engaged and then losing all motivation one day a week. This week it was Saturday. It was a long empty day and I had zero motivation. I wasted so much time looking at stuff online and just didn't want to do anything. It was too windy to blow leaves which was the yard work I want and need to do. I just could not think of anything I wanted to do. Could I clean the kitchen? Sure but why bother when I will have plenty of time to do it any other day of the week. It was a rough day. It is reminding me of those early days after having Jared. I wasn't working and only had one very easy going baby to look after. I would divide up the things that needed to be done in a week allotting one or two tasks per day even though I could have done it all in 2 days not 5 just so I could feel productive each day. I am so grateful to UVA for allowing me to work. Even if I only have one or two tasks to complete it is 4 scheduled hours Monday - Friday that I am accountable for. I am pretty sure it is keeping me sane.
Recipe:
Whisk together
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Add 1 cup plain greek yogurt
Pour dough on lightly floured surface and knead it. Recipe suggests 15 turns
Divide dough into 4 equal balls
Roll into snakes and shape like a bagel. Pinch ends together. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Brush with egg wash.
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes
Recipe recommend letting cooked bagels sit for 15 minutes.






No comments:
Post a Comment