Monday, July 6, 2020

4th of July weekend

Friday morning some friends invited us over to swim at their house which was a great way to start the holiday weekend. We headed over after dinner and had a fun time. Mark was asked to come into the airport to help with the last flight of the night so we left before they shot off some fireworks.  Friday was the first time he worked at the airport in at least a month.  Its been nice to not worry about airport germs coming into our home and since we haven't been flying anywhere he has been very happy to not be working.  Starting this week he is back to his 2 nights a week schedule.  The shift is shorter, 6 -10 instead of 11:30 or midnight which is helpful. 


Saturday morning we spent some time down at the river.  It was my first time going down there with Lydia and Jared and it was better than I thought it would be but still not a favorite of mine.  Often when we drive down this section of our road we can look over and see trash near the river or people playing but it was clean this day and there was no one else there so it was fine.  It just doesn't seem that nice and I wish the water had a higher/faster flow but it is definitely the most convenient.  Jared and Lydia love it so much so I am happy it is there as an option. 





We had a quiet afternoon at home and then Shaw's came over for dinner, water games, Root Beer floats and fireworks.  Since school got cancelled Jared and Lydia missed out on Sports Day which is a favorite of theirs so I tried to recreate some water games similar to those and looked up a few online that would work with smaller numbers.  It was really fun and they all had a great time.   


Julie and Chris were such a good sports to play along. 


I made some sponge bombs and they were a huge hit. We played a few games with them and just let the kids throw them at each other.


This was one of Mark's games.  It was really hard to get any water in the container  but they got soaking wet so it was a win. 





I am bummed I didn't get a picture of the four of us with our root beer floats. 
 It was so hot and humid out.  Gross.

We did fireworks at our house and then drove over to a street near our house to watch the fireworks put on by members of the community.  Normally the city/county put on a show at McIntire Park but that show was canceled due to Covid so a private group sent out a message asking for donations of money and a place to shoot the fireworks from.  They raised enough money and someone volunteered their property and they put on a show. Its fun that the community made this happen in a safe way. It was not the best firework show I've ever seen but it was nice. 





For our FHE treat Lydia picked patriotic ice cream sandwich bars.  I have wanted to make these for years and was so happy she picked them.  They are the cutest easiest patriotic treat.  Mark of course put his own spin on it and took it up a few notches which Lydia did not approve of.  He added crushed Oreos and peppermint bark pieces which were delicious just not on theme. 




It was a fun weekend.  I am sure the ice cream sandwich bars and water games will make multiple appearances over the Summer. 



No comments: