Saturday, August 22, 2020

Oklahoma

 A few weeks ago Mark was talking on the phone to his mom and some of his sisters who were together in Utah. His one sister Laurie was visiting from Oklahoma and by the end of the conversation Mark had reserved seats on a plane to Oklahoma.  I opted out of the trip.  The closest airports to them are Dallas or Oklahoma City and both are 1.5 hours away and it just seemed like a lot of driving for a quick weekend trip. And it was over 100 degrees there. They flew out of Dulles early Friday and flew back into CHO early evening Monday. They were originally going to fly out of Richmond but seats filled up more than Mark was comfortable with so I drove them to Dulles early Friday then came back home to work. I completely missed my exit to get back home but made it back. I had a lovely weekend at home and they had a blast in Oklahoma. 

Mark was surprised that Oklahoma was as green as it was and had more trees. Laurie and her family moved there about a year ago and really love it there. They have a beautiful pool and property, a new quarantine puppy and a boat.  They have 5 acres and next door to them there is a pond which Jared went fishing at with Aiden, Laurie's oldest. Jared and Lydia loved their puppy Sunny and swam as much as they wanted.  One day they were there there was a huge thunderstorm with quarter size hail so that was exciting.  They took them out on the boat Saturday night and Jared and Lydia loved that they could jump off the top of the boat. It was a really great trip for them and I am so glad they made it and had fun with cousins they don't see often at all.  Laurie has 3 kids, Aiden 17, Ashton,15, and Felicity 12.  It was well worth the trip. 

They went out for breakfast Saturday and Laurie helped Lydia out. 

Jared inherited some clothes from Aiden and Ashton which he was really excited about.  Aiden took Jared into their rooms and when he was done Jared's suitcase was full of clothes like the above.  Lots of really nice athletic clothing pieces and he is thrilled. 

Laurie also has her cosmetology license and gave Jared and Lydia haircuts. Jared really wants his hair long on top so Laurie gave Mark some lessons on how to cut it that way.  She and Mark went to a store later to get good scissors and a thinner so he can cut his hair like that at home. I don't think it looks that nice personally (the style that is, Laurie of course did a great job doing just what Jared wanted) but it is his hair and as he gets older these are the type of things I will just have to let go of.  Lydia has decided she wants to grow out her bangs which I am trying to not be sad about.  There will be some awkward pictures until they are grown out and it will take awhile to get used to her without bangs.  She has had them her whole life.  Her preferences really seem to be changing.  She never wants to wear dresses anymore, only shorts and wants skirts for church and no dresses with any poof. I am sure there will be many more changes. 

No comments: