Saturday, April 25, 2009

5 years ago!

Tomorrow is April 26th! On April 26th, 2004 Mark proposed to me at Yosemite National Park in California. It was like one of the best weekends ever. I graduated from BYU Idaho and then Mark and I drove out to California together and he proposed!

Mark and I had been dating since the beginning of fall semester 2003 and "exclusively" dating since November 2003. We actually met at the beginning of fall semester 2002 but were just good friends. Mark had just gotten back from his mission in Brazil and was busy going on blind dates every week and I was actually engaged to another guy. All my roommates kept talking about this great guy named Mark and I just kept asking who the heck is Mark? Eventually we met and became great friends. We would often drive home together from school to California and 13 hours in car is a great way to get to know someone.

Mark and I had talked about marriage before so I knew we were headed that way and was just waiting for him to ask. The last month I was in school was sort of annoying because everyone and their brother kept asking me when Mark was going to propose. I kept telling them to ask Mark not me! Finally graduation came and my parents came out to watch. The day I graduated Mark asked my dad if he could marry me and my Dad consented happily. (My family really likes Mark, they were not that anxiousto marry me off.) That same day Mark and I took off and drove to California. We were planning on visiting his family in Turlock first and then going to Yuba City for a few days then driving back to school. Well, we got to Turlock and Mark said that the next day we would go to Yosemtite which is about 2 hours away from his house.

The next morning we headed out. Once we got there we went on a couple of hikes and explored the park. I had never been before and really enjoyed how pretty it was. After we had walked around we went back to the car and when he opened the trunk there were flowers and a surprise picnic lunch in the basket that Kristi (Mark's sister) had given Mark for Christmas and that Mark had used for our first kiss! (It was pictured back in January on our first kiss post) As you can see this basket is rather important in our lives. We will have to take it to the hospital with us in October when we meet Lydia or Jared!

Anywho, we sat down in a meadow by a stream and ate our lunch. Then after we had eaten Mark said that there was something for me inside the basket. As soon as I saw the basket in the trunk I knew that Mark was going to propose and was so excited. In the basket there was a little white box with a silver bow around it. I got really excited and then he proposed and I said Of course! Making sure to hug and kiss him before I looked at the ring, which by the way was the exact one that I wanted!. So 5 years later we are still happily in love and having great adventures togetther, we can't wait to begin the next part of our lives together come this October!



At the top of the "Hill" we hiked up.



The happily engaged couple! Just moments after Mark proposed. Mark said that he really wasn't too nervous about asking, I guess he was pretty sure of himself before he asked.



Back at Mark's house after we cleaned up from the trip. This was the only picture I could find that show I now had the ring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your story! It's so sweet!! You'll definitely need to pack that basket up for the hospital!