Monday, December 27, 2010

Some Christmas Cheer

We had a very nice California weather Christmas here. I was hoping we would have a White Christmas but no such luck although we did enjoy watching that classic film on Christmas Eve.  Last year we were in California surrounded by family and this year we were the extreme opposite, just the three of us.  We missed visiting with our families (we didn't miss the 20 hour drive) and I would have loved for the Grandmas to get to watch Jared play with the great toys they got him. He was so excited.  But we had a really nice day together.

We started unwrapping presents after the traditional orange rolls and hot chocolate breakfast.  Jared half way unwrapped one present and then decided he wanted to go play upstairs so he took off and Mark and I stayed downstairs and opened our presents.  Then Jared decided to come back down and this time he was more interested in opening his presents.  After we finished it was time for his nap so we took him upstairs and while he slept we put together said presents.  Once he woke up we brought him down and he was so cute walking from one toy to the next. 
Here are some pictures of our Quiet Christmas festivities.

 Christmas Eve Dinner.
Ham, Funeral potatoes, rolls and stuffing with Pear Pie and ice cream for dessert. Some friends invited us over for dinner Christmas day and we had essentially the same meal and then we ate it at our house for dinner last night. It was still yummy.


 Merry Christmas!




For Mark



 For my Dad.



Thank you Marmee!


Mark's Mom and Dad made each one of the kids in his family this same poster.  
We are so happy to have a current picture of all of Mark's family members.  Everyone who has come over likes to check it out and guess which are his siblings.

Earlier in the week we went out to look at Christmas lights with some friends.  Whenever we go we like to hand out one or two "Best Christmas Lights Award" to the house we like the most.  I print out a little certificate and get a bag of Christmas candy. The friends we took with us this year could not believe that we would go up to random people's homes and ring  their doorbell to give them a certificate.  The man we gave it to this year was so happy!  He was an older man and after we explained what it was he invited us in.  It was nice  I think we totally made his day he certainly made mine.  It is one of my favorite traditions we do.  Christmas Eve we read the Nativity, sang lots of carols and finished our Advent calendar.  I am so grateful for this special time of year. 
Only 363 days till Christmas!

2 comments:

veryterry said...

Looks like you had a very fun time! I love the picture of Mark in the wrapping paper. Cameron and Lisa always have quite a good time doing the same thing. What a cool idea to give an award for the best lights! We need to start some traditions like that, especially because Lisa is going to have a hard time the first year we decide not to travel to CA for Christmas and it will help to have some really fun things we do together. I have to say, the drive was much easier now that it is only 9 hours instead of 13!

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you had such a great Christmas. I love that you award the best Christmas lights! I loved taking Ty out walking this year to see all the lights.

Ty has the same dump truck rider thing that Jared got. It is one of the best toys we've gotten for him! Jared will have have so much fun with it!