Monday, May 30, 2011

At odds

You know how there is a date printed on milk gallons?  Well ever since Mark and I have known each other we have been at odds as to what this date means.  Mark holds fast to the belief that the date is a sell by date.  I am more inclined to think it is a drink by date.  I have of course had milk past the date stamped on it but always felt a little anxious doing it.  To me it just starts to smell a little off as soon as the stamped date passes.  I remember once when Mark and I were dating I stopped by Mark's apartment the night before we were leaving to drive home to California.  He had a new gallon of milk that he was putting in the freezer so it would be fresh when we got back.  I told him he wouldn't be able to drink it when we got back from California because it would be past the date and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ever since then we have been quietly going back and forth about what the date means.
So I would like to know how long do you wait until you dump out your milk?  Most people would probably just smell it but I just hate drinking milk after the date.

And last week Jared and I learned about the letter K so we made him a crown fit for a King.


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Isn't it funny the little things couples have "disagreements" about? I think in college I figured out I could drink the milk up to 4 days after the printed date before it tasted funny. I also learned that you don't smell it directly from the carton. You have to pour it into a cup then smell it because the milk on the spout always smells funny. I really don't have to worry about it anymore because our milk never comes close to lasting long enough to hit the printed date.

Wow, I had no idea I had that much to say about milk! Hope you're having a good week!

Joseph and Kimberly said...

I had a gallon of milk from walmart one time that I had not used for a few days it started to get a gray film on the top 5 days before the date on the container. I dumped it out and it was curddled on the bottom. I smell it all the time now.

Candie said...

It's practically a sin to throw away milk at our house and usually it's gone before we have to worry about it. I usually buy 5 or so gallons at a time and freeze them so the date mean nothing by the time I get to the last gallon or two. I guess I'm a milk smeller. :)