Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our Sunbeam


Sunday January 06 2013

I have had really mixed emotions about sending Jared to Primary. I get that it is not that big of a deal, it is a church class once a week for 2 hours and I am in the building with him but for some reason it just made me sad. I know he has been going to Nursery but his just seems so much more grown up.  There are no snacks or play time. He is just growing up so quickly! He is growing up into such a sweet, thoughtful, obedient, happy, willing child.  
 I have been doing my best to get him (and myself I guess) ready for the past few months.  We made a countdown chain for the holidays and included 6 extra links so he could count down to primary.  We would go to the Primary room before church started and I would have him sit down in the  little chairs in the front. We talked  about how we raise our hands and practiced it and how we do NOT touch the microphone unless we are asked to.  And you know what?  It worked. I dropped him off and he sat right down and folded his little arms.  He sang the songs and was just fine.
Unfortunately I didn't prepare him very well for class time. As I was sitting in Relief Society I suddenly heard his little voice out in the hall.  I walked out to see what was up and saw him walking with one of the presidency members.  After she dropped him off in class she came over to tell me what had happened.  He somehow got separated from his class after they went to the bathroom.  They all walked to the classroom and he walked back to the Primary Room.  She told me he went right up to the front raised his hand and said "I'm Lost".  I can so hear and see him doing it.  A little while later I went out into the hall because Lydia was exhausted tired and a little fussy and I went to peak in his classroom.  The kids were sitting on the floor looking at pictures with their teacher except Jared who was wandering around the room. Then he went to go play with the lights.  I am hoping he at least stayed in his seat for the lesson part.  I watched for awhile and then 2 other kids started roaming around.  3 year olds are hard to entertain teach for 45 minutes.  We talked to him about not touching the lights and staying with his teacher so hopefully next week will be a little smoother. I am happy that when he didn't know where to go he went back to the Primary room so he could be with an adult.  I think its time we had a real talk about what to do it you get separated and what to do about strangers. As a side note, I recently read this ARTICLE about guns in houses and think its a pretty good question to ask. I am not even sure Jared knows what a gun is. I know I have never talked to him about them. There are so many things we need to or should prepare our kids for.  It seems tricky to not be paranoid about everything and let your kids live but to also make sure they are aware of situations and know how to handle them.  Jared is still young enough that I typically go where he is but the time will come when that will change. All to soon I think, he is already a Sunbeam! 

He also has been working hard on his letters and was pretty proud of the ones he wrote today so to further prove how much he is growing  up:  

 
He loves writing his name but I have been slowly having him work on other letters too.  He makes pretty awesome J's he told me they are his favorite.  He is my favorite three year old. 

2 comments:

veryterry said...

wow, Look at all those letters! That's amazing! He is growing up very fast. I think 45 min is even long for high schoolers! At least that's what Ryan says about his classes. :)4ngedfal

veryterry said...

haha. I see that I typed the code to prove I'm not a robot into my comment. I hate those code thingies.