Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dirt and water

Jared loves construction workers and cones.  He often tells us that he wants to be a construction worker.  Anytime we drive down the road and he sees cones or "Machines" he is quick to point them out to us. If we ever go to LOWES he always wants to go to the "cone row".  Cones and construction workers are just behind Lightning McQueen as Jared's favorite toys.  Sorry Thomas the Train your days are over.  Since construction workers use dirt Jared is often asking me what he can use as dirt when we are inside the house.  We have used counting bears, pasta wheels, flowers, and many other things.  The other day as I was looking up fun summer projects I found a website, Dirt and Boogers which I had heard of before but not checked out and found some awesome activities. One was a construction site sensory play.   I loved it and knew Jared would too.  I substituted in some different "dirt" though that I found here. (Gotta give credit to all those fun creative people out there) Jared helped me mix up the dirt and then went to town with his construction site.  I suspect we will play with it often, which will be lots of fun. Now I have some real dirt he can play with although our improvised dirt worked pretty well too.


 
We have finally had some warm days so I got out our water table to play with.  Lydia had never played with it before and found a new way to use it.  I went upstairs and when I came back out to the backyard (seriously like 3 minutes later) this is what I found:
 
 
I was so shocked! She loved it. I guess she just thought it was her personal pool.  I couldn't believe she pulled herself into it. I took her out and changed her and the rest of the afternoon she kept trying to climb back in and almost succeeded a few times. She will have to closely supervised when it is out like I couldn't be more then a foot away, she is fast!!
 
One thing I do like about summers here are the rainstorms.  We had two rainy days this week and one day Jared and I went outside after the rain stopped to splash in the puddles.  I loved splashing in puddles while I was growing up.  When we were doing our spring time art projects we made some umbrellas and rain clouds and one day I had the great (if I do say so myself) idea to show Jared the scene from Singing in the Rain where Gene Kelly sings in the rain. Jared loves it!  He asks me to play it for him all the time. So once we got some decent puddles we had to go dance and sing in them. He was sad when we went in but had a lot of fun singing and dancing in the rain and I did too.
 
 
 Lydia loves the video as well. Recently she has really taken to dancing and singing when we play music. Its fun.
 

 
 
Mothers Day 2013
 
I love being their Mom.


No comments: