Sunday, November 27, 2016

Birthday Celebrations

I had a lovely birthday this year. My sweet friend Laura hosted a birthday get together with muffins and a cute how well do you know April Spencer game.  She is so fun and thoughtful.  It was so nice to visit with just some off the awesome people I have become friends with here in Charlottesville and I am a breakfast foods kind of person so muffins were spot on.  I made a batch of cream cheese filled carrot muffins and when I got to Laura's she had made 4 other types of muffins!  They were all delicious.  She does love to throw a party.  On my actual birthday I had a nice sleep in and then we went out to breakfast. I wish we had made the drive to Waynesboro to go to Cracker Barrel but was still happy to go out.  Since my birthday was the day before Thanksgiving Mark had the day off which was a nice bonus.  After breakfast we stopped by a sports store and found my Christmas/birthday present, a bike!  I have wanted a bike for a long time.  Especially since moving here.  Two of my very good friends love biking and typically go once a week.  I have really wanted to take it up as a new hobby/social/exercise activity and am so excited I can now.  Lydia is becoming an expert bike rider and asks to go all the time and she and Jared were both so excited for me to ride with them.  I have been dreaming of family bike rides for years now!  To add a cherry on top of this, Mark got a bike on Black Friday! While we were checking out to buy my bike the cashier mentioned that their black Friday sale was 1/2 off one item.  Mark tried out a bike and we decided he would go back on Friday and try to get it.  He got there just before they opened at 10:00, walked in and got a great bike for 68$.  For Christmas we plan on getting a bike rack as a joint present for the two of us.  It's really happening! My family went on bike rides a lot growing up and I am looking forward to it.
We spent some time riding bikes at the church and ate my birthday cake for lunch.  (In our defense breakfast was large and later in the day closer to brunch time) I also came up with a new tradition I want to start.  Mark had been asking me what I wanted for a birthday cake this year and nothing was jumping out at me.  A few weeks ago I had found a recipe for a pumpkin cake I wanted to try.  As I was thinking about making it for Thanksgiving I had the great idea to have Mark make it for my cake this year.  Then as I thought about this more I decided I would pick a cake each year and have Mark make it for my birthday.  He is on board and I am excited to start this tradition each year.  I know he is up for the challenge and will do a great job. I am so thankful for Mark who listened to what I really wanted and made it happen.  He helped Jared and Lydia make me beautiful cards and made my birthday a great day.  Since I have been working nights he has completely stepped up and taken over a lot of evening things I did around here and never complains.  I knew taking this job that he was completely capable but it is nice that he does it so naturally and well.  I love that I come home (way later than I ever should working at a department store, WHY are they open to 11:00 on weeknights?  Now 12:00 for December??) and the kitchen is cleaned, the loads of laundry I didn't have time to finish before I left are folded and Jared and Lydia are sleeping peacefully. He's a rock star and I am a fortunate girl.

 
34!





No comments: