Before we moved from our town home here our kind next door neighbor gave us her son's old bike. It was the next size Jared would need and this past week he started riding it and is loving it. The thing he loves most is that it has gears. To try it out we went with the Shaw's on some great paved pathways Julie and Chris found a few weeks ago. I had never been there and am so glad she showed them to us. The trees were beautiful and it was so fun to try out somewhere new. Julie, Lydia, and I walked around with Lydia occasionally riding Jared's scooter and enjoyed watching the boys ride ahead together. They love being together. They also do a nice job including Lydia which is so great. I can't wait to go back!
We met up with some friends at Forest Lakes Park one day before picking Jared up from school. Lydia really likes playing with this sweet little boy Dash yet sometimes needs a little nudge to remember to play with him. They will both be at Baker Butler next year along with 3 other boys from Lydia's Sunbeam class. It will be fun if she ends up with some of them in her Kindergarten class. Her number one choice would be Dash. We also took an afternoon to stop by Chris Greene Lake Park. Jared was dying to ride his bike again. Originally I was against it because I had to go to work that night but I decided to stop and am so glad I did. The colors were gorgeous, so much better than I expected. It was such a pleasant surprise! They have a little park there with some nice paved pathways. Jared and Lydia had fun playing and he was of course happy to be on his bike. I was happy to be out with them and in such a beautiful place.
Last week I went with Jared's class on a field trip to Ivy Creek. The parents all met the buses at Ivy Creek and 93% of us arrived at 9:30 which is when the note sent home told us to arrive. In reality the buses were not arriving until 10:00. Fortunately there were some nice parents to talk to from Jared's class and it was a good chance to get to know some of them. There is one student in particular that Jared has mentioned being friends with more than others, his name is Marcus and his parents were there and it was really nice to get to chat with them. It turns out they live on Chris Greene Road so 2 minutes from our house. If Jared pursues this friendship it could be fun to meet up with them and nice to have a friend so close. We went on a hike with one of the Ivy Creek Foundation volunteers and learned about leaves changing colors and different types of trees. We had a few minutes up at the barn to look at nests, skins, and other nature things found there. It was nice to learn a little bit about the history of Ivy Creek. It was bought piece by piece, 10 acres there 20 here by a freed black man and his family and used as a farm. As time passed on they no longer wanted the land and developers hoped to come in and build houses but the county got the land and created a great convent hiking place. We have mostly gone to play in the creek in the summer and it was nice to be there in the Fall. I'm glad I could go with Jared and spend that time with him and get to know some people from class and see him interact with them. And I'm glad Charlottesville has so many fun places like that.
Biggest, oldest tree at Ivy Creek.
These two.
Today was a magical day where they were the best of friends and it filled my heart right up with hope and love. Most days they are fine with each other and play together well enough or just leave each other alone but today the fun they had and their good nature towards each other was awesome.
I'll end with some of the beauty I have seen around Charlottesville lately. These pictures do not do it justice but it was the best I got. It is really windy tonight and I am sad the leaves will soon be gone.
Driving down our street




















No comments:
Post a Comment