Early Tuesday Mark and I voted. We went in one at a time while the other waited in the car with Jared and Lydia. Albemarle County doesn't have school on election days. They did it last year too and it still seems weird to me. I distinctly remember seeing adults walking into the cafeteria when I was in Elementary school on election days. I know schools are used as polling places which is why they do it but it seems like for many it would make it harder for parents to go out and vote. It is great for us though. Neither candidate we voted for won, we did not vote for the same candidate and neither of us voted for Trump or Clinton. When we found out who won we were really surprised/shocked. We were in bed by 10:15 or so election night so really had no idea who was even ahead. In honesty it feels embarrassing that Donald Trump is representing our country now. He is not even a politician which I understand was a part of his appeal. He has no experience in politics whatsoever. Why is a "celebrity" now our president? And one who is so rude to so many people. I just don't get it. I have read a few helpful
articles explain how this seemed to happen and can kind of understand, and overall have been impressed with how people are handling it and treating others in my little social media world. Mark took time in each of his classes today to talk about the results and explain the electoral college and popular vote to his students. There were some students with real concerns. I am glad he could talk to them and teach them about the system which I am totally ready to have changed. He also had a great discussion with Jared today who asked" "Why and How did Trump become President?" I love that he added the how. Then he said "Why did Trump have to win?" We will hope for the best. This year Albemarle County had a school bond on the ballot and it passed by 73%! It makes me so happy that I live in a community that passes school bonds. Both of the cities we lived in in Colorado, Greeley and Colorado Springs (one school district of the many in the Springs) had school bonds that did not pass. Maybe they were not written well but I was not the least bit surprised they didn't pass. Good job Albemarle County!
Today in preschool we talked about elections in general and what it meant to vote and had a fun mock election. We had 4 ballots: Food preference: Pizza or Macaroni and Cheese. Dessert: Ice Cream or Cookies. Animals: Dogs or Cats. "President:" Farmer Brown or Duck based off the book, Duck for President. The kids loved voting. I made little "I voted"stickers and they were so proud to wear them. I also had them fill in papers about what they would do it they were President and for their Journal entry I had them write who they wanted for President. The results were: Trump, a little boys Grandpa, a little girls Mom and Lydia voted for herself. Here is her paper: not all bad ideas.
Secret ballots


We decided that we would vote first thing then drive up to the Temple. The temple was closed a lot of the summer and we hadn't made it up there since it opened again. I am glad we went. We ended up both doing a session so we were there a long time but Jared and Lydia did great. Lydia has been asking for weeks to go and I am glad we made it. While I was inside Mark took them to Wheaton Regional park. I had heard about it last Spring but hadn't made it there yet. He said it was great. It is only 15 minutes from the temple so a really good option in the warmer months. I'm glad they could go. While Mark was in his session Lydia, Jared and I ate a picnic lunch near the temple, walked around the grounds and enjoyed the visitors center. They have made quite a few improvements to make it more kid friendly in the 2 years we have been here which is super nice. As we ate outside we enjoyed watching them hang Christmas lights and bring the Nativity pieces out of storage. The next time we go the Christmas lights will be on which we really look forward to seeing. It was a nice peaceful way to spend the day.



No comments:
Post a Comment