Thursday, August 24, 2017

Back to School


I got Mark some of these limited edition mint chocolate cookies for his back to school treat.  I put a note on them that said "Your commit-MINT to teaching is awesome, hope its a great year."  I hope he enjoys teaching 7th grade this year.

Jared and Lydia had awesome first days of school.  I took them the first day and while I left my house on time, we got there late (but not terribly so) because the parking lot was totally full and backed up. I technically got to the school on time but it just took forever to get into the lot.  We passed a few more prepared friends who arrived on time and had already dropped off their kids on our way in.  We dropped Lydia off with her teacher outside and then I walked Jared in.  Our morning went nice and smooth until we got to the parking lot but it didn't matter, they weren't keeping to a strict schedule that first 20 minutes or so I am sure.



Lydia loves Ms. Hunter and going to school.  I always ask the kids to rate their days on a scale of 1 - 10 and Lydia gave her first day a 20 and her second a 120.  There were no tears, just a happy girl going to school.  She is happy to make new friends and see old friends and came home with all smiles on her daily behavior chart the last 2 days.  I think she will have a great year.  She is such a sweet girl.  When I was driving home the song "marry that girl" came on and I had a real moment of sadness, almost crying that she has reached this milestone. I know she is 5 and we have so many years ahead of us but I know that its true, that time goes so fast!  That you blink and then the years have all gone by. When I heard that song it just hit me that time is going to go so fast that before I know it someone is going to be asking us to marry her!  It just got me, I did not finish listening to that song. I am looking forward to all the years I do have with her and Jared too.

She is an adorable Kindergartner and I love these pictures.







Jared predicted that his first day would be a 3 and I was happy to hear him give it a 7 instead.  High praise from him.  He gave his second day an 8!  He really did get nice kids in his class.  He is confident and has had only good things to say.  I was sad for him that he had such low expectations and thrilled it turned out better than he thought it would.  He said his favorite thing in class was daily quiet time where kids could choose to sleep, read or do art. I think its good that they have some free time each day.  It's a long day.




 


2 years later and I think I am finally used to seeing him with glasses.  It seriously took me this long to feel like they should be there. He is a silly (tall) handsome kid.

Once Lydia and Jared were both in school I wanted to start choosing a "back to school" theme.  Sort of a motto for them to remember all year. I have seen people put together awesome back to school dinners where they introduce a theme and have cool items to match it and I didn't make it that level but we did a fun FHE lesson about it and made sure to have Mark give them Back to School blessings.  Our theme for the year is "Hold to the Rod."  We plan on memorizing the song and verse to match it.  The last 2 years Mark and I have made kissing hands for Jared and made Lydia one this year too.  I laminate them and put them in their backpacks so they will have a kiss from us with them all year.

  

After I dropped Jared and Lydia off I came home to finalize everything for my preschool orientation.  I planned it for 9:00 AM so I could have a good distraction from missing Lydia and Jared. It went pretty well.  One of my families canceled because they felt the drive was just going to be too much.  They live down by UVA so I can understand that. A class of 7 will be fine. 8 would be great but 7 is more manageable. One student was out of town and one thought it started at 10:00 so only 5 came to orientation.  It was good for the families to meet each other and the students to have some time in the classroom.  I hope it helps them feel comfortable so next weeks drop off will go smoothly.  One mom wants to stay here (not in the classroom but on site) the whole 3 hours so if her son needs her she is here. I told her this was fine but I don't really recommend it.  I think its better to have a clean break so they know there is no leaving until the day is over but oh well.  She plans on staying out of sight.  We will see. The activities went well and I have everyones paperwork so we are set.  I am exited to teach but keep thinking of how weird it will be to not Have Lydia there or Cam since they were both there the last 2 years. I finished preparing everything for next week today while Jared and Lydia were in school which was so nice. I loved it!  It was amazing to have all this uninterrupted time to work and they day went so fast. I loved not feeling like I was neglecting Jared and Lydia by working on preschool stuff. I think teaching preschool will be great to help keep my busy and that I will love having Mondays and Fridays to myself! I met up with some great ladies for lunch and hope we can do it again soon.  The year is starting off great!

No comments: