Thursday, August 24, 2017

Last days of Summer vacation


Monday was mine and Mark's 13th wedding anniversary.  It was a also a really busy day.  We had fun friends over in the morning for a little brunch play date and then Jared and Lydia earned some money.  About 2 weeks ago a member of the 1st ward posted an opportunity for kids to earn 15$ for doing a voice recording.  I signed both Jared and Lydia up and told them it was the easiest 15 dollars they would every earn.  A device told them about 25 commands to say and after they repeated and had them all recorded they were given 15 dollars cash. They were thrilled.  Lydia got a little stressed because she kept saying "Hello" instead of "hey" which is what the prompt told her to say.  A drink of water and her blanket took care of it and she finished strong.  It was a different kind of opportunity and I am glad they could do it.

Julie had kindly agreed to watch Jared and Lydia so Mark and I could go out to lunch to celebrate. We had a gift certificate to BoneFish Grill and went there. I am not a fish person so I was pretty conflicted about what to order. I didn't really want fish but was at a fish place.  I ended up ordering Fish tacos and a salad and Mark got a grilled salmon. We planned on splitting both. The Chex accidentally cooked Shrimp tacos so the waiter bought our the fish tacos and the shrimp tacos. Both were not to my liking.  The salmon was fine but I like Mark's better. So should I ever go there again, which is highly unlikely I will disregard the fact that it is a fish pace and get something from land! Despite the bad ordering (for me, Mark ate and liked it all) I was happy to get to have some time with Mark. He is awesome and makes my life so enjoyable.

Our lunch date was cut a little short as we had more things we had to attend to.  Monday happened to be the Solar Eclipse which we did not want to miss.  The school district had given Mark a pair of glasses so we figured we were set but it turned out to be a pair of faulty ones.  Luckily a friend was more prepared than me and had 2 extra pairs we could use.  I am glad she was more on top of things. There sure was a lot of hype about the eclipse which I found odd.  It sounded like this was a once in a life time thing but really it appears to be happening again in like 7 years!!  I feel pretty confident I will still be around 7 years from now but if not its a good thing I saw this one.  That being said I did enjoy watching it very much and Jared and Lydia seemed to enjoy it too.  We watched most of it with the Shaw's since Jared and Lydia were already there.  I saw some cute ideas with cute themed snacks and cool projects later in the day but missed the boat on that one.  It's okay though, I can try again in 2024!



Then if that wasn't enough things for one day we had Open House at Baker Butler. Both kids were excited to go, especially Lydia.  Ever since we found out she had Ms. Hunter she has been super excited for Kindergarten. We go to the school just after 3:00 and went to drop off all their school supplies. Lydia happily explored her classroom while I filled our the first of many needed forms. After visiting Lydia's class we headed over to Jared's class at least for the foreseeable future.  Enrollment for 2nd grade is really high this year and it sounds like another teacher is being hired to form another class.  This is unfortunate for many reasons and I am feeling more concerned for Jared.  He really lucked out with kids he really liked ending up in his class and he seems to really like his teacher.  He could stay in the same class and maybe it won't even happen but each class has around 24 students so it seems likely.  We didn't stay at school too much longer, just checked in with their new bus driver. Lydia is dying to ride the bus and they will every now and then but definitely not in the morning since we are not ready nor feel the need to be ready at 7:13 when is stops here. I wanted the bus driver to know who they were though and to let her know she should not expect them in the morning and not to wait. Mark had to go to his Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 so we left pretty quickly.


On Tuesday we finally got around to making popsicles.  This seemed like one of the easier items on our summer fun list but we barely got it done before school started. Technically I still have almost a month till summer is over but I don't think many more items will be checked off.  We picked three recipes to make and then they took forever to freeze. We made Nutella popsicles, creamy lemonade popsicles and cookies and cream.  They were all delicious.  I can not pick a dinner entree to save my life but muffins and treats, no problem! We ended up eating them for an after school treat the first day of school but they were made before then!

 





No comments: