Friday, March 23, 2018

Dance dance dance!


Lydia has been waiting to take a dance class for the last 9 months or so easily, maybe even longer. I looked into classes at dance schools in town and was sad to see how much money they were. The monthly fee itself seems like a lot and then most have a recital fee and costume fee.  Enter Charlottesville Parks and Rec. They have an 8 week session, one class a week.  Albemarle County sadly does not offer ballet classes which means we would have to drive forever and pay the non resident (crazy city/county differences) fee but for how happy it made her today it was worth it. I was talking to my brother Davin, (whose daughter Kaylee takes a class) when I was out in California and for 1 class a week for a month it is 20$.   In California!  I was shocked.  Lydia's 8 week session here was 78 dollars.  Oh well, it is what it is.  We were actually on the wait list but there was enough demand that they opened up another class. So we will make the 28+ minute drive (both ways) to downtown-ish Charlottesville on a Friday in traffic (her class is at like the worst time 5:00 - 5:45) for this sweet ballerina.

Back in February she and I went on a date to a Dance celebration performance at the same recreation center as her class.  It was really awesome and well done.  There were various dance styles presented, (Swing, Ballet, lyrical and tap that I remember) it was just about an hour long and it was free. I really love and look hard for community events like this.  We had a fun time and stopped for Duck Donuts after. Last week I found out that the BYU Ballroom Dance Company are coming out here May 05th and I could not be more excited.  My family hosting them and attending their performances when I was growing up is one of my favorite memories. I can't wait to go!  I have had a hard time finding performances like this here in Charlottesville and am so glad they are coming.

Lydia and I were happy to see these costumes. We both had our favorite colors represented.

No comments: