We had all of our Easter Celebrations this weekend as we hope to be in France for Easter Sunday this year. "Hope to be" because we will be flying stand by and I just can't quite admit that it will be happening until my name is cleared on the screen. Our celebrations were pretty low key this year. Since we are going out of town I am not making some treats I normally make. Its also conference weekend so I'm not making conference cinnamon rolls either. I actually made them in late February to make up for that. It's sort of an unfortunate conference to miss as far as "history" goes. Its the first one with our new prophet and 2 new members of the Quorum of the 12 will likely be called. Its always a weird feeling to not watch Conference but especially one where you know uncommon announcements will be made.
To add to our Easter celebrations we watched Buttercup this weekend. We watched her one weekend last year but the teacher who normally keeps Buttercup could not have her in her classroom this year because a student has allergies. Jared's teacher volunteered to watch her for the rest of the year. Jared was really excited about this arrangement. Buttercup is a sweet bunny.
Saturday was a really busy day but in between events we managed to dye Easter Eggs and have Jared and Lydia enjoy their Easter baskets. We hid one money egg for each of them inside the house which is a fun tradition from my maternal grandparents. That evening we met up with friends for a very informal Easter Egg hunt. We met at Baker Butler with the instructions for each family to bring dinner if they wanted and 10 eggs to hide for each participating child. It was not amazing weather to be out playing in but compared to the snow earlier in the week and the forecasted freezing rain earlier in the week it was pretty nice.
Lydia's money egg
Jared's money egg
Jared was kind of a goober on this hunt. Before he would put an egg in his basket he opened it to make sure it was either 2 pieces of candy or candy he knew he liked. I am not sure it really helped him in the long run because he took much longer to find his 10 eggs but whatever.
We did a cute little art project and some Peeps Science experiments. Its been a few years since we did them and Jared and Lydia really enjoyed them.
Will they change colors?
The pink and blue changed right away but the green and yellow did not make the water blue as we thought it would, just a sort of neon green.
What happens if you put them in the microwave?
In which liquid will they dissolve the fastest?
Water, Apple juice, Sprite, Vinegar
We invited the Flakes over for our traditional Easter dinner tonight. His wife and 4 of their 5 kids are in Ireland for the next few weeks. We were happy to give them some home cooked food. They mentioned having eaten a lot of TV dinners so we sent some ham home with them. For FHE we opened our Resurrection eggs and had some success of a good discussion about the real reason why we celebrate Easter. Jared and Lydia know "the answers" but I don't know that we were very successful in having them feel the spirit of Easter. Once they were in bed I played a few Easter songs on the piano and it helped me feel the spirit more. When I first started playing the piano I worried that it would be too loud and would keep them up if I played as they were falling asleep but I think they kind of like falling asleep to me playing. I actually know they do because they have told me. Not because I'm good, I'm not but I do try. I can't seem to find a great time to play during the day so evenings are my go to time. The primary has been learning the song "Gethsemane" and Lydia has fallen in love with it. Its a little serious for me but I do like parts of it. There is a simplified version of the song in the Friend this month so I have been learning it. I also found a new to me song called "He Came For Us" and fell in love with it. It especially has helped me appreciate what Easter is about. Now to plan that itinerary for the trip to France we might take this next week.



















No comments:
Post a Comment