Sunday, March 25, 2018

Spring Snow



We had a really fun snow storm come into Charlottesville early Wednesday.  It was so beautiful and we ended up getting a good 6 inches of snow. It snowed around 4:00 and kept snowing until noon or so. Everyone in our family was thrilled that we finally got a real snow day.  Lydia and Jared were out playing in the snow by 8:00 am.  They came in for hot chocolate and coffee cake and then were back out in it.  Around 10:30 we headed over to Chris Greene Lake to go sledding. We originally planned to stay until 12:30 because we thought Mark might have to go to the airport for a training meeting but the meeting was canceled so we stayed at the lake until 1:30 or so.  Around 12:00 Jared's friend Marcus and his Mom showed up and Jared was over the moon. It's a bummer that we don't get to see Marcus more. Our schedules don't line up well as both his parents work long hours.  We are really happy when they do get to meet up though.

I originally got out our snowflake mugs but then Lydia requested a rainbow one as it was the 2nd day of Spring. She also got her haircut the day before.  I really like it short like this. 


For awhile we were the only ones there.  About 3 other families came and went while we played.  At first the sledding was really hard because the snow was so deep.  Jared was getting frustrated because he loves crashing into the cattails at the bottom of the hill and the snow s too this for him to make it all the way down but eventually it got packed down enough that he started crashing.  Marcus's Mom was a really good sport and had a fun snowball fight with Jared and Marcus which he loved.  Lydia and I went over to the less steep section of hills for a bit and enjoyed a more leisurely race down the hill.  I liked this section because I am a terrible sled driver and often end up backwards on the step hill where we normally are.  The ride felt longer and more controllable which was nice.  Lydia was feeling pretty brave in that section, even sliding on her tummy, knees and then attempting to stand which didn't go as well.  It was also less tiring having to walk back up the hill over there.  The reservoir side is so steep you are really out of breath by the time you get back to the top.  It was a great afternoon sledding.





Mark and I shoveled the driveway when we got back. While we did that Jared worked on his snow fort.  This snow was really wet and heavy, it was a good, hard arm work out.  Lydia kindly came and helped us shovel for a bit and then went back to spraying the snow with the water I had dyed for them.  They mostly concentrated on "painting" the snow fort.  Jared is not one for pitching in and helping with "chores." While I very much dislike the fuss he puts up when he is asked to contribute I am really over his playing while the rest of us work. So new lines will be drawn, he won't like them but its time.  I hate writing negative things about Jared or Lydia but the truth is he needs some attitude adjusting.  Once the weeds come back (which will be only too soon for me) he really won't like the new lines.  It will be painful for us all but that is life. I thought the school district would have a 2 hour delay the next day but they ended up getting the whole day off. Since we had driven on our road the day before (it was plowed really well) and cleared our driveway I planned on having preschool even if there was no school.

A friend gave us this "snow brick" maker and Jared was happy to ry it out. 
I can see the individual bricks but you have to look pretty close. 





No comments: