Sunday, May 6, 2018

Theme dinners

If I had to pick between a fun dinner for Star Wars day or Cinco De Mayo, Cinco de Mayo would always win.  Its too bad Star Wars day will always be the day before Cinco De Mayo.  The being said we had have fun celebrating both days with fun dinners this year.  Jared is making good progress on the Star Wars books I brought back from California he is on book 8 in the series. That and the fact that he sneakily watched Star Wars 8 on one of our flights has made it to so Star Wars is on his mind more than other times.  Therefore he was very interested in celebrating Star Wars Day.  He helped me plan a fun dinner for the night and made sure we watched a Star Wars movie for family movie night.  We came up with:  Tie Fighter Fettuccine, X wing bread sticks, light saber grapes, and Star Wars Jello.  I attempted to make a Death Star brownie by simply cutting a brownie into a circle, frosting it and drawing lines in it.  It worked.   I also made some lightsaber pretzel rods to put in their lunches. We watched Return of the Jedi, my favorite Star Wars movie and had a good time.  The only down side was the fact that our house was 90 degrees during this time.  We don't have a traditional AC, its a heat pump system and we haven't had any real problems with it since living here.  Sadly last Thursday and Friday were 90+ degree days and our heat pump was not working.  We watched the movie in the basement but it was so hot upstairs as I made dinner that I couldn't even keep the brownie with frosting out, it was breaking down.  That was one of the most uncomfortable dinners I've cooked in a long time. It was so miserably hot.  We ended up having Jared and Lydia sleep in the basement that night.  They were happy with that arrangement, and we were happy that the hot weather went away on Saturday.





Earlier in the week I talked to some friends about the idea of getting together for a Cinco De Mayo fiesta.  We each made our favorite Mexican dish and the Carter's brought a piñata.  It was a huge hit.  Thankfully the weather was perfect and we ate outside and the rain held off until everyone was packing up to go home. We will miss the Carter's when they head out to Alaska this Summer.







No comments: