Monday, September 2, 2019

Farmville, VA

Last week I started thinking about how we wanted to spend our day off.  Quite awhile ago I had heard about some old railway tracks that had been turned into bike paths and thought if the weather looked good it would be fun to try out.  The weather did look decent so we headed down to High Bridge State Park, not far from Farmville, VA.  The bridge was completed in 1852 and was targeted by both the Northern and Southern armies during the Civil War.  It played a pivotal part in Lee's retreat at the end of the Civil War, it's not too far from Appomattox. 

It opened as a recreation bridge in 2012 and is the longest recreation bridge in Virginia. It is 125 feet above ground which was really fun.  It was originally 160 feet above ground and had an upper and lower level from what I understand so it could be used by wagons and trains.  We made it to the parking lot just after 9:00 so it was still fresh and cool out.  This put us about a mile away from the bridge.  The whole trail is about 31 miles long and really popular for bike riding.  It was great to ride somewhere nice and flat and go across the bridge, it provided beautiful views.  Jared liked it a lot but kept commenting on how the new boards which replaced the old ones made him nervous. I pointed out that I was happy there were new boards because it showed that the state was paying attention to the bridge and making sure it was safe and kept up.  It was safe, fun and pretty and while there were a decent amount of people enjoying it it wasn't crowded at all.  Jared and I rode back and forth across the bridge 3 times.  We had driven a good distance to enjoy it so one time was not enough.  Once was enough for Lydia though.  Lydia generally loves riding her bike.  This was one of those times where you thought someone would love something and they just didn't.  She and Jared rode around the parking lot/ nearby trail while Mark checked our tires and just used up too much of her energy. She felt like the mile long gravel trail to get to the bridge was too long and was irritated that she didn't have water with her. I was sad that she didn't enjoy it more. I loved it and want to find another cool spot to do a fun family ride.  I don't see myself taking up cycling anytime soon, Charlottesville is not the place for that in my opinion but family bike rides were a frequent occurrence while I was growing up and a fun way to spend time together.




Farmville is known for other things too.  Besides Civil War history it played a big part in the civil rights for education movement.  Our next stop after our bike ride was downtown Farmville (really cute and charming Main Street) and the Robert Russa Moton Musuem.  I was well aware of Brown vs. The Board of Education Topeka but I didn't know (or remember) that this case was made up from 5 different cases.  The plaintiffs were in Kansas, Delaware, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington DC.  Farmville was the school in question in the Virginia case.  The students at the all black school in Farmville decided to strike because of how bad and unfair their school conditions were.  The school originally served 147 students but at the time of the strike enrollment had grown well over 400 and the only accommodations that were provided were 3 tar shacks.  So the students went on strike and the NAACP decided to take on their case.  They were not originally going too but when they met with the students they were so impressed by their determination/organization they felt they couldn't let them down.  Instead of agreeing to integrate schools when the law was passed Prince Edward County decided to close all the schools.  They stayed closed for 5 years, there were no public schools.  Virginia was terribly stubborn and slow to integrate in general and Prince Edward County is a good (bad) example of that.  Mark and I were impressed with the museum and glad we stopped in.  The tour begins with a video depicting the students and the meeting they held about going on strike.  You watch it in the actual cafeteria where it was held.  Jared and Lydia did well for the video and first room or two but were ready to leave long before Mark and I were.  There is a lot of information to take in and Mark and I were trying to learn all about it but Jared and Lydia were ready to move on.  We should have adjusted our time in there to better suit their attention level and they should have handled their desire to leave better.  So, the museum is well done and I am glad we stopped and could have some good conversations with Jared and Lydia but we over stayed our time there which made it end badly.

Downtown Farmville

There are signs like this all over VA, well the word Love that is.  
This is my favorite I've seen. It's made of old railway ties as far as I know.




We saw 2 painted pianos on our walk.  

Martin Luther King visited this church and it was a gathering place for meetings during the strike. 
I didn't know there was a Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail.  I will need to look up where some other sites are. 

This is a timeline leading up to the strike and after.

The actual high school turned museum.


It was nice to go explore a place we hadn't been, take in some sites and get in some history too.  I am grateful for all the courageous individuals who said enough was enough and were brave enough to make change start.


No comments: