Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pumpkin Carving my most artisitic moment of the year...



Before...



And After!

Carving pumpkins has certainly become more complicated from when we were growing up . Admittedly this is our own fault. Both Mark and I carved pumpkins with our families when we were little, the standard triangle eyes and nose and depending on the year a crooked smile or a mouth that was supposed to be scary that turned into a smile. The last four Halloweens, even in Egypt (thanks to branch members who have the American Commissary grocery store, (aka a little piece of American goodness in Egypt) and can buy any American product) we have used the little patterns that you poke out with the fancy saw and poker and scraper. We look through the patterns and it always ends up that I choose the master level carving and spend 3 hours poking and sawing at my pumpkin and Mark chooses the beginner level yet, great picture done in 45 minutes to an hour pumpkin. While my hands are orange and tingly, Mark lights the candle and enjoys his pumpkin. BUT.. it is all worth it when we finish and see our awesome pumpkins. I tell myself next year choose a simple one and be done with it but why give up my most artistic moment of the year. Here are our Pumpkins from this year. (They are starting to fall apart a bit so we might do another one... we will see which picture I pick)



I am so proud of my pumpkin! I worked so hard!



Trick-or-Treat!

4 comments:

Michele said...

Love the pumpkins! I still need to do one with Jacob and Ryan this year. I hope we get to it before Halloween in over!

veryterry said...

Holy cow!! Those are some awesome pumpkins. We are thinking of carving ours tonight...but we are for sure doing the standard eyes, nose, and mouth version. We'll have to post some pictures. We got a book from the library about a little boy who picks out a pumpkin and carves it, so Lisa is very excited.

The Christensen Family said...

Your pumpkins look great! We wish we were there to carve some with you. We sure miss you guys!

Rebecca said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! You almost inspired me to try one of those out - but I don't think I have 3 hours worth of patience!