Mark and I went on a tour of our hospital today. And while I do not have any hospital experience whatsoever to compare it with I am pretty darn excited to deliver here. It just opened in August 2008 and is so nice! It is a 7 minute drive from our apartment so very convenient. I figured I should take some pictures today while I am feeling fine and still presentable. The tour was quite full and it was interesting to see all of these other pregnant women. It is amazing how each individual carries their baby so different!

This is one of the Labor and Delivery rooms, all the rooms are private and really spacious. I was really happy to hear they are all private. I have had many flashbacks to the Friends episode where Rachel is having her baby and like 5 women get to deliver before she does and she has to wait for hours. They have huge walk-in showers and most of the recovery rooms have jacuzzi tubs and while I do not know how soon an individual could use one after delivery it would sure be nice too because I haven't had a nice, long, hot bath in a long time! It certainly does not seem like I will be spending much time in one of these rooms assuming all goes well, since you leave in like 36 hours or so but I do hope to make the best of my time there.
It was interesting to hear about all the different things that people do for comfort while they are waiting to deliver. The tour guide did mention how amazing the bed is that you wait in. She said you can raise it all the way up so that you can be standing up and lean against it and that it supposed to be really helpful. Its really just a big mystery to me, I am not sure what I will want to do for "comfort" because I do not have a clue how I will be feeling. Birth balls, massage, breathing techniques? Its all a big question mark to me. From the get go I have been pretty "pro" Epidural, but any suggestions would be welcome. I am going to my new doctor Monday and will have to talk about it with him and then make a Pre-Admit appointment with the hospital. Maybe next week I will pack my hospital bag, I can't wait to meet my doctor and get to the one month point!
It was interesting to hear about all the different things that people do for comfort while they are waiting to deliver. The tour guide did mention how amazing the bed is that you wait in. She said you can raise it all the way up so that you can be standing up and lean against it and that it supposed to be really helpful. Its really just a big mystery to me, I am not sure what I will want to do for "comfort" because I do not have a clue how I will be feeling. Birth balls, massage, breathing techniques? Its all a big question mark to me. From the get go I have been pretty "pro" Epidural, but any suggestions would be welcome. I am going to my new doctor Monday and will have to talk about it with him and then make a Pre-Admit appointment with the hospital. Maybe next week I will pack my hospital bag, I can't wait to meet my doctor and get to the one month point!








3 comments:
It's kind of funny how they give you all these ideas for how to make labor more manageable. I kind of just got in the zone and stayed in my bed for about 5-6 hours rather than trying to walk through the hard contractions or get into various positions. But it is different for everyone and it's good to know your options beforehand. Breathing was really the only "technique" I used. It put all I learned about breathing in my years of vocal training to good use! :) 12 more days for this baby!!!
That looks like such a nice hospital. I can't believe they have a jacuzzi. How nice. They didn't let me walk around at all, but between the pain killers, Jeff's company and a few movies I really don't remember it being terrible. I think the best things we packed in the hospital bag were snacks and water for Jeff and hard candies for me.
I personally liked to be up and walking around. You will have to try different things and see just what works for you.
Post a Comment