As I was looking up things to do this weekend I saw that Colorado Springs was having a Veterans Day parade on Saturday and seeing as how every store or apartment building or car dealership or restaurant...(Do you see a trend here?) offers 10 -15 % discounts to military I figured this was a good city to go check out a Veterans Day parade. Besides the fact that there are 2 Air Force bases, the Air force Academy and an Army base, seriously if you are military this is the place to retire!! So we went over to the parade and cheered on the participants. As we were standing and watching I couldn't help but overhear people's conversations. Lots of "Smile, and we will send this picture to Mommy/Daddy in Iraq" (or elsewhere). Or tons of people yelling "Thank You!" and holding up big Thank You posters. It made the parade even better. I am not an incredibly emotional person but seeing those groups march and hearing the people express their gratitude made me really grateful and sort of choked up. For some reason the WW II Veterans always get me the most. Maybe it's just that soon there won't be any and it seems like WW II was such a different type of war.
Jared was very attentive.
I think Veterans Day is sort of an overlooked holiday and am glad that we could attend the parade.







No comments:
Post a Comment