Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Feelin Groovy...

I remember sneaking into my older siblings rooms when I was in middle and high school and listening to their CD's. Lots of They Might Be Giants, The Fugees,  and LOTS of Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel.  Whenever we drove around town with my Mom we either had to listen to her Country station (which none of us wanted) or the "Oldies"station. I LOVE Oldies.  I enjoy a lot of today's popular music as well but Oldies are the music of my growing up years. They hold so many memories for me. Music is really powerful like that. It can make you feel and remember so many things.  I love it! Even though I am not a very musical person I truly appreciate how musicians/songs can make you feel.
This past weekend Mark and I went to our monthly Colorado Springs Philharmonic performance and they were featuring a duo who performs the music of Simon and Garfunkel. I had been looking forward to this performance since we learned what each month would be. It did not disappoint. When I graduated from high school my sister gave me a CD of Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits and I listened to it often.  Their song "I Am a Rock" was my standard post break up song while in college. I explained this to Mark and he was grateful he had never had the song applied to him.  I was surprised at the emotions it brought out in me. (Not bad ones just strong ones) It was fun to share stories with Mark about what the songs made me think of. I am truly not that dramatic of a person but music can bring it out in you. Mark was aware of Simon and Garfunkel and knew quite a few songs but I don't think he had any real emotional connections with Simon and Garfunkel's music but I still have deep connections. I love them. I think musicians do great stuff today (and I am painfully unaware of how songs are made, how "tracks are laid") but it always feels like musicians from this era did more of their own songwriting and singing without crazy synthetics and auto tones. 
It was such a great trip down memory lane. Next month is Rodgers and Hammerstein and you can bet I am excited. I love this performance series the Philharmonic puts on and going out with Mark.

1 comment:

veryterry said...

I was JUST thinking about this very thing listening to the radio in the car this morning. I love the good oldies and sometimes feel like a dork for it, but then I ignore that feeling and embrace my love for that music we grew up on! We were playing Just dance last week with friends and I felt so much more at home with the old songs than the newer hip hop songs. Did I give you that CD or Katie?